3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Any Suggestions for my Dakota upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
ramos160
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Suggestions for my Dakota upgrades?

Hi, I'm new to this forum so spare me.

I'm wanting to upgrade my 05 dakota. I am going to install the following on my truck:
Gibson's DUAL SPORT STAINLESS STEEL CAT-BACK EXHAUST
Gibson's Stainless header GP316S
Jet performance module 2
Jet Stat
Air lift or Supersprings- I'm not sure which one
Mopar skid plates
I also found a differential cover skid plate by rugged ridge

I currently have a cold air intake with a K&N air filter

I have read many complaints on the jet module 2, so I might leave that out. I also read someone stating that the jet stat can damage your engine? any takes on this?

Whoever installed the cold air intake in my truck did not create a hook up for the crankcase vent hose. Right now it is chilling unplugged, not hooked up into anything. I am going to install a K&N crankcase filter on it, I'm not sure if this will solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be great!

I also wish they made more aftermarket products for the Dakota's, I have been looking for a suspension lift since I bought this truck.

Last edited by ramos160; 12-04-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want to save money on the 180 stat, get the napa stat 530080, same 180 stat that goes in the 5.2, 5.9 and for 8.00 it is worth it. all you would need to do is cut the little notch for the gasket. also the jet one is about 42.00, i just purchased the superchips 3815 tuner, which doesnt work on my 05 for some reason but other users have had better luck. the best upgrade i have done was getting 4.10 gears installed. kinda pricey, 1600.00 for the 4x4. you may want to update the non h.o cams with the h.o. cams. these have seen a vast improvement over stock cams. then there is the nitrous systems. great ones at zex. and they work very well

Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Don't spend the money on a Jet stat, it's too expensive, just get the NAPA equivalent.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice list man and welcome to the forum, a lot of knowledgeable ppl and a lot of good info and experiences! What part of NY ya from?

Not sure about the Jet 2 Chip, but you have to figure everyone has a compliment or complaint about something

As far as the Therm Stat, I can see how it would damage the engine...all it does is opens or closes by heat... if its defective its either gonna stick open or closed. And if it sticks closed then I could see overheating but theres a therm gauge for that, so you just shut it down before you get too hot.

Installing the filter to the crankcase vent would be better than leaving it open... I would def get on that

Someday we will get more aftermarket, just someday *crosses finger*

Good luck with everything

OH YEAH we need pictures of the beast, looks like a nice hood

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 12-04-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Beat me 2 it

Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
ramos160
Professional
Default Any Suggestions

I'm from Riverhead. I am glad to hear that no one has said anything about that setup being impossible, that means I might have a chance on putting this thing together. Any suggestions for which ho cams to use or where to get them? As far as the jet stat goes, I will probably use the one with the notch already in it. I do not trust any modifications that I would have to make. I'd probably screw that notch up and cause the thing to stay closed. I might get one from NAPA and take a stab at it anyways.

Thanks for the help guys

I'll posts some pictures up when I get a chance. Right now my truck is sitting in the garage. I had a really bad leak in the passenger side, about 2-4 inches of water. I took it to a shop in Riverhead, (Hitman Collision) charged me $300 told me it was fixed, turned out it wasn't. They refused to refund any portion of it due to the process of elimination involved in fixing such a problem. I am pretty sure the leak is coming from the body seam on the passenger side. I removed the passenger side fender. I sealed it with urethane from the outside, hopefully it took care of the problem.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Originally Posted by superdak05
if you want to save money on the 180 stat, get the napa stat 530080, same 180 stat that goes in the 5.2, 5.9 and for 8.00 it is worth it. all you would need to do is cut the little notch for the gasket. also the jet one is about 42.00, i just purchased the superchips 3815 tuner, which doesnt work on my 05 for some reason but other users have had better luck. the best upgrade i have done was getting 4.10 gears installed. kinda pricey, 1600.00 for the 4x4. you may want to update the non h.o cams with the h.o. cams. these have seen a vast improvement over stock cams. then there is the nitrous systems. great ones at zex. and they work very well
On the thermostat please explain. Do you need to cut something off or make a notch??

Last edited by newmexicoram; 12-04-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

Riverhead huh? I'm in West Islip

Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
01dodge
Rookie
Default Leak?

Spray water on the back window with a garden hose or at the car wash. Then check the inside out, look for any water coming in around the window.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01dodge
Spray water on the back window with a garden hose or at the car wash. Then check the inside out, look for any water coming in around the window.
Yup, easiest way to track down a leak is pull the interior panels off in the suspected area, have one person sit inside with a flashlight and someone else spray it down with a hose from outside. Had to use that method on one of my past cars, trunk full of water is no fun.

Quick Reply: Any Suggestions for my Dakota upgrades?