3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota vs. Frontier?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
neilgehrke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying used, so depreciation is not a factor for the most part. I never have bough new, just not worth it to me so far.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I've never understood the resale-value argument when it comes to buying a vehicle. It's really a no-win. Might as well drive the truck until repairs outweigh payments on a new rig. That's my plan.

The Nissan V6 is a strong motor, but it's also as high strung as the Dodge 3.7L. All the power and torque are up high in the RPM range. The 4.7 will be more satisfying at low RPM.

What kind of prices are you finding? A well equipped V8 Dakota Quad Cab, with reasonable miles, can be had for $15,000 or less. Set aside some money for a tuneup and some Rancho/Monroe shocks, and you will have a solid workhorse for 16 grand.

But you've driven both; go with your gut feeling. Sounds to me like you're leaning towards the Frontier. It's your truck, not ours!

Spend a couple hours around this forum, and you'll learn the strengths and weaknesses we've all discovered over time. Have you posted the same question on a Frontier forum?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
neilgehrke

I am posting the same question over on the Frontier Forums. Thanks for your info.

Found a very clean 2005 Nissan Frontier 2wd with the NISMO Offroad package. Payed $13,000 (14,200) out the door, with 37,000 miles. I'm loving it so far, good power, nice trans, rear diff lock, factory spray bedliner and Utilitrack system. I think I made the right choice.

Last edited by ericemery; 01-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

yeah. i came here thinking this was kill story...now im just deeply upset. thanks.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
viper359
Professional

I just wish to point something out....

I think you are looking at the wrong things between the trucks.

You listed 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. These should be a non-issue. These are trucks, not sport cars, and, you say you are using it as a daily driver, while, I assure you, the V-8 dak is better with gas the the V-6 nissan. I live in Canada, my best friend has the Nissan, and, I get the better mileage, (Hi-way of course) as my engine is not working anywhere near as hard as his.

If you daily commute is hi-way, consider that. More important, you really need to decide what your real priorities are for your next vehicle. Speed and track times should be the last things on your mind. Re-sale values are mute points. No vehicles really hold any value anymore. Its the one thing you buy that depreciates over time. The amount it depreciates is moot. If you save several thousand now, your ahead. Getting a thousand more for a vehicle then the other one, five years from now means nothing. The thousands you save NOW, far outweights the smaller figure down the road.

Ask yourself what you really need the truck for, what you want it to do, and how hard you want to work it.

For me, I wanted a truck that could take a beating, and still turn over. For me, that was the Dakota. At the end of it all, it boils down to what you find most comfortable.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
ramos160
Professional

Originally Posted by neilgehrke
I am posting the same question over on the Frontier Forums. Thanks for your info.

Found a very clean 2005 Nissan Frontier 2wd with the NISMO Offroad package. Payed $13,000 (14,200) out the door, with 37,000 miles. I'm loving it so far, good power, nice trans, rear diff lock, factory spray bedliner and Utilitrack system. I think I made the right choice.
Hopefully you won't regret getting a truck w/ 2wd, I had a 1993 Nissan pickup in mint condition, no rust no problems. I ended up getting rid of it because it didn't have 4wd, plus I wanted something a little bigger with more power. Now that I have the Dodge Dakota I can't stop thinking about the Dodge Ram.

I think Nissan's are great quality vehicles so when it comes to reliability and quality you won't have any regrets. I did not really check the aftermarket parts for the Nissan frontier but I am sure there are more options available compared to what is available for the Dodge Dakota.

I was a little skeptical at first when I bought the Dodge Dakota since they are not best known for the superior quality. While owning my Dakota, I have already had to replace a front ball joint, u bolt for the steering shaft and I think I also had to replace the steering pump, at the time the truck had 38k miles. I bought the truck used so I cannot really blame Dodge on this, who knows what the previous owner did to this truck. Hopefully, I will not have to deal with this same issue once again.

Dodge makes really nice looking cars, I just wish they would put as much effort into their trucks reliability as they do into it's style. I also have some parts that have some rust, I am going to paint the whole chassis with chassis saver this summer.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
TheGreatMonkey
Default Say what....

You are choosing between a Dakota and a Frontier? Whats wrong with you. You go with a Frontier. Like seriously, whats wrong with you. I'd choose a Frontier before a Dakota any day. You wanna know why, cause Dakota's are OVERPRICED POS's. Thats right I said it. Overpriced POS's. If I had my time back, I would have gone with a Frontier. cause Dakota's a useless as they come. Hell, I wouldn't accept one even if it was free. Wanna know why. You really wanna know why. Cause they can't do ****. Like come on, the best truck in it's class for towing. Mine can't tow worth ****. It's even equipped so it can tow it's rated rate. And yet, it was only towing my sled. And what happens. My engine was having a hard time. Revs were going up and down. Tranny was starting to jerk. And then guess what, BOOM. Engine and tranny went. Like WTF. Yeah what now huh. What now.

So yeah, if you looking at getting a truck, go with a Frontier. Trust me, you'll be thankful for getting that instead of the Dakota.

And one more thing, sorry but I really gotta say this..... Dakota's are the most useless overpriced pos ever created.

Before I click submit reply, i'm surprised I haven't been banned. But I guess I can be entertaining, proving how much pos Dakota's are.

Last edited by Altair; 01-06-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: No need to swear
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monkey, we've been through this before. Obviously you hate your truck, assuming you're not lying it sounds like you got a lemon. If you hate it that much sell it and buy something else. It's your own fault you continue to drive something you hate so much (at least I'm assuming you still have it since you're still here complaining about it). There are a lot of people here who would very much disagree with you and many more not represented here who are happy with their Dakotas. Your engine and trans did not blow up as a result of towing the sled, that's absolutely nothing for these, might as well be unloaded. Either there was another serious problem that caused it (which in 99% of cases would be manifested in other ways before the engine and trans went) or you were abusing the crap out of it. Considering superdak05 abuses his pretty hard and hasn't come complaining of many problems I'd say it's safe to rule out the second option barring something stupid like sitting in neutral revving it all day.

You may be surprised you haven't been banned but stupid as I think your opinion may be you're entitled to it so long as it's not violating the forum rules. That said if this thread turns into a flame war it's getting locked so be forewarned.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by neilgehrke

Glad you made your choice. Too bad it wasnt a dak , but hey, its your opinion and I respect that, no worries cause I wont say "YOU ARE BAD BAD BAD". I think Viper said it best, its all in what you feel is more comfortable.

Originally Posted by Altair
Monkey, we've been through this before. Obviously you hate your truck, assuming you're not lying it sounds like you got a lemon. If you hate it that much sell it and buy something else. It's your own fault you continue to drive something you hate so much (at least I'm assuming you still have it since you're still here complaining about it). There are a lot of people here who would very much disagree with you and many more not represented here who are happy with their Dakotas. Your engine and trans did not blow up as a result of towing the sled, that's absolutely nothing for these, might as well be unloaded. Either there was another serious problem that caused it (which in 99% of cases would be manifested in other ways before the engine and trans went) or you were abusing the crap out of it. Considering superdak05 abuses his pretty hard and hasn't come complaining of many problems I'd say it's safe to rule out the second option barring something stupid like sitting in neutral revving it all day.

You may be surprised you haven't been banned but stupid as I think your opinion may be you're entitled to it so long as it's not violating the forum rules. That said if this thread turns into a flame war it's getting locked so be forewarned.
Very well PUT! Complaining about what you have or whats has happened to you really gets ya no where! If you want change or dislike something, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, CHANGE IT! Thats all that needs to be done, you'll be much happier and everyone around ya wont think you are a tool. Just my opinion...

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

That Frontier sounds nice. 2WD with a locker will go alot of places.

As for Dakotas being overpriced, I think you should walk into a Dodge dealer and watch the salesman offer you his firstborn if you buy a truck today. They are a *great* deal for the power and capability you get. I have over 30,000 miles, without a squeak, rattle or check engine light. I've it loaded to within an inch of the bump stops, towed a trailer 900 miles, driven off road, through snow, and it's handled it all.

Quick Reply: Dakota vs. Frontier?