3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota vs. Frontier?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 PM
neilgehrke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dakota vs. Frontier?

I'm looking at these two trucks and am wondering if anybody has owned a frontier and could give a comparison. I'm talking about comparing 2005-2007 models. Dakota with 4.7L and the Frontier with the 4.0L V6. It seems the Frontier is always on top of the Dakota in all the road tests and magazine coverage. Also seems Dakotas don't have much resale compared to the jap trucks. I have driven both. Powerwise they seem pretty close. Any comparisons are welcome. Thanks

Neil

Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

The Dakota, especially the V8, really is a half-ton truck. You can find the same powertrain in a Ram. The 4.7 out-torques the Nissan V6, which is what you need for trailering and hauling. A Dakota is bound to be less expensive, but you're right in thinking it won't hold value well. Espically with the fate of Chrysler in doubt.

I would be willing to bet money that the Nissan automatic is less failure-prone than the Dodge. Good maintenence and a trans cooler will help offset that. Or you can get a stick, but only in '05 and '06 models. The Dakota also has rear drum brakes, but so do the highly regarded latest-gen GM trucks. I think my truck stops plenty quick.

Gas mileage, I'm sure, is a wash. Aftermarket support has to favor the Frontier.

3G Dakotas seem to be pretty reliable. 2007's I believe only have 1 TSB for an automatic transmisson re-program. Be patient and I'm sure even used '08's will begin popping up. Then you can upgrade to the big-boy 4.7 with 310 HP.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
neilgehrke

I don't tow anything. I will mostly use this truck for daily driver and trips to home improvement stores. I will most likely go for the longer bed version of the Frontier. The frontier felt faster than the Dakota I drove, both were Quad cab versions. Thanks for the info

Old 12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I wouldn't mind ripping around a V6 / Manual Frontier...those have to be fun.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neilgehrke
I don't tow anything. I will mostly use this truck for daily driver and trips to home improvement stores. I will most likely go for the longer bed version of the Frontier. The frontier felt faster than the Dakota I drove, both were Quad cab versions. Thanks for the info
You should invest in the Frontier. The Dakota is an ok truck, but If I could do it again I would buy the frontier. It's more reliable, without towing, the Nissan V6 is every bit comparable to the Dodge V8 in the Dakota.

This Dakota seems to have some of the same issues last generations Dakota did. The frontier is all around a better value.

I do like my Dakota but let's be serious. Unless you can get a Dakota for a lot less then a frontier, then go with the Nissan.

Read my epinion for my full review:

http://www.epinions.com/review/2006_...t_429280759428

Remember, truck owners are some of the most brand loyal people in the auto industry...Since your asking for advice on a Dodge Dakota board, people are going to tell you its the greatest thing in the world.

My opinion is that its been "Ok" but i have had better.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 12-23-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

True that, Dakotas are big trucks and like low gears. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Are you looking at an automatic or manual?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 PM
neilgehrke

I'm definently going with an auto. Comparing 2007 Dakota and Frontiers, the Frontiers are selling for about $2000-$3000 more than the Dakotas. I can get a Quad Cab Longbed Frontier, something not available with the Dakota. I do like the V8 though, but the Nissan V6 seems just as good if not better, more power, same torque. The tests I have read all show the Frontier is faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. I know speed isn't everything, but still it doesn't hurt. All the specs show interior room right about the same. Just not sure yet, I can save some money going with the Dakota, but should be able to recoup some $ with the Frontier, when I want to sell.

Quick Reply: Dakota vs. Frontier?