3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket head unit questions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Mahadigus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket head unit questions??

Who here has installed an aftermarket head unit into their trucks? I have the base stereo and from what I've read it looks like there are two harnesses for our trucks. One that retains the factory 10 minute timer that leaves the radio on once the key is turned off, and with the other harness you loose that option. I just wanted to see who has gone the cheaper route and if there is anything I need to look out for, or do I just go with the expensive one?

thanks in advance

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had best but install my head unit. i never had the timer that allowed the radio to stay on, it might be different with the infinity set up. only thing they had to track down was a special adapter for the face plate, and tweeter next door had one.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head unit

I got my wiring harness from AudioVideo and was the same harness used in my 2005 SX 2.0 . it leaves the stereo on for 2min or so after shuting the truck off, had to wire the accessory wire from the harness into my cigarette lighter power cable with is what allows my headunit to stay on after shutting the truck off. truck dosen't come with a accesory wire build in.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

Originally Posted by ericemery
Best buy or circuit city can do it. they are easy if you dont have the infinity set up.

I did mine, but I also installed for years...
yea I installed for a few years and now am a licensed doge tech, the only reason I asked was the tools at best buy kept telling me that even though I don't have the infinity or alpine oem radio, that I still need the peripheral harness part# CHYRAP, and as far as I'm aware the only benefit to using that harness is the 10 minute delay once the key is turned off. It looks like all I need is the bha1818 harness, and all I will lose is the delay which is not a big deal at all.
Just want to make sure Ièm on the right track.

thanks again

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResult...005%20-%202007

Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Uriel Kuki Castillo

what is the good things to get a doble din radio in dodge dakota 2005 for the factory radio and whats problems i can get to change this in my truck, i mean how good o not can be.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
tmoore8828

One of the main reasons you need the converter is power. With the newer Chrysler products, the radio (along with everything else) is on the CAN BUS and it is controlled with a data signal not switched 12V like older vehicles. You can do it without the expensive converter but you have to pull in switched 12V from somewhere. I used the cigarette lighter (2008 Dakota). It is switched so the radio turns on when you are in ACC or key on. It also retains the 2 min timeout after keyoff. There is no noticeable differences with radio operations at all. The only funny thing was, if you scan you Computer for Codes, their will be a pending because the computer can not communicate with the radio.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tmoore8828
One of the main reasons you need the converter is power. With the newer Chrysler products, the radio (along with everything else) is on the CAN BUS and it is controlled with a data signal not switched 12V like older vehicles. You can do it without the expensive converter but you have to pull in switched 12V from somewhere. I used the cigarette lighter (2008 Dakota). It is switched so the radio turns on when you are in ACC or key on. It also retains the 2 min timeout after keyoff. There is no noticeable differences with radio operations at all. The only funny thing was, if you scan you Computer for Codes, their will be a pending because the computer can not communicate with the radio.
You can set the 12v to Ignition, or always. Simple move of a Fuse i nthe fuse box, Great feature.
I had 2 aftermarket radios in my 2005, neither would retain the 2min timer, they both would shut off when the truck was turned off. (I had the Fuse is Ign Position)
The Code thing is the same. No Light, Just a code when scanned.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM
tmoore8828

Not quite sure what your trying to say with the fuse position. But if you try to hook up an after market head unit with the standard harness adapter, it won't work without bringing in 12V from somewhere. The factory harness has no wire for 12V that would connect to the standard adapter 12V to power the head unit.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tmoore8828
Not quite sure what your trying to say with the fuse position. But if you try to hook up an after market head unit with the standard harness adapter, it won't work without bringing in 12V from somewhere. The factory harness has no wire for 12V that would connect to the standard adapter 12V to power the head unit.
Fuse for the 12v Outlet on the dash, Inside the fuse box, if you move it sideways, it changes it from being a 12v Ignition switched source, to a constant 12v source. It is were most people tie the radio off of.
There is a Can-Bus adapter that gets power from the harness, just like the OEM Radio does. But without it you need to tie off a power source.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit questions??