3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 4WD Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
too_low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4WD Leveling Kit

Hello All,

Does anyone know where to find a leveling kit for a 2005 4WD Dakota?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Trailmaster leveling kit from autoanything.com

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you dont want to go that route, and wanna level the rear, i purchased the shakles from www.canuckmotorsports.com from ebay.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Got mine the same place. It leveled the truck out pretty good.

Originally Posted by Altair
I bought my Trailmaster leveling kit from autoanything.com

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
too_low
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it! I am set on raising the front to try to gain a little more clearance on the trails. Have any of you had any problems with it? I found some disclaimers on the web(and an email from Trailmaster) stating that it may be rough on the ball joints and can potentially damage the struts. But it's the only one I can find for an '05 4WD.

How was the install? Did you have to remove the tie rods as indicated from their instructions?

NewMexicoDak - we are neighbors, I'm over in enchanted Hills area. I called desert rat and 4wheelparts and they don't offer anything.

Thanks again guys!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Too Low,

I had MBS install my Rancho shocks and lift kit. No problems. He's right below Perfection Honda. He gave me the best price in the area. Give me a buzz if you want to see how it looks. 994.3662

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by too_low
Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it! I am set on raising the front to try to gain a little more clearance on the trails. Have any of you had any problems with it? I found some disclaimers on the web(and an email from Trailmaster) stating that it may be rough on the ball joints and can potentially damage the struts. But it's the only one I can find for an '05 4WD.

How was the install? Did you have to remove the tie rods as indicated from their instructions?

NewMexicoDak - we are neighbors, I'm over in enchanted Hills area. I called desert rat and 4wheelparts and they don't offer anything.

Thanks again guys!
I installed mine according to these instructions: http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...ions/DL223.pdf
Straight from trailmaster's website. Up until recently I've had no problems with the front end I would attribute to the kit, I just had to have a lower ball joint replaced but I wouldn't put the full blame for that on the kit, the ball joints on these trucks are crap to start with unfortunately.

The install can definitely be rough if you are doing it yourself, getting the strut assembly out isn't bad at all if you borrow the right tool from your local autoparts store. Compressing the spring to take the strut apart is nearly impossible using the type of spring compressors you can borrow though. After trying to make the compressors work for about an hour I brought the struts down to a local shop that had a wall mounted spring compressor and asked them to put the spacers in the struts for me. Long story short one of the struts was crossthreaded from the factory and I ended up taking it to the dealer and letting them warranty the strut and install the kit while they were in there but if that hadn't been crossthreaded the shop could have put them in just fine and was only going to charge me $20 to do it.

Just make sure you get an alignment afterwards, don't forget!

Quick Reply: 2005 4WD Leveling Kit