3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?

Finally got this damned Front Control Module part replaced back on the 5th of this month after having my truck into the dealer on three seperate occasions trying to determine what the problem was, its finally up and running and back to normal. I am attempting to get Chrysler to reimburse me for the part. Probably a far fetched idea, but I think that this component in particular fails because of design flaw. This component is connected to the IPM or the intergrated power module and while all the fuses and relays in the IPM are covered by a lid the FCM is basically open to the elements the only protection being the hood of the vehicle. I am wondering if nearly record breaking cold temperatures have had anything to do with this component failing.

The indian guys on the phone with Chrysler customer services just constantly insist that my vehicle is out of warranty and there is nothing they are going to do about it. At least that's what I could understand through their accents.

Apparently this is not all that uncommon of an issue as I managed to scrouge up this service bulletin on google.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_0806005.pdf

I don't understand why you would make a computer component like that so that when it fails it basically messes up all of your electrical components. I had no brake lights, no reverse lights, no speedo, no tach, no temp guage, a non amplified radio, no ABS, and no airbags while the faulty part was still in my truck.

Oh well I guess, I reported the dealership and chrysler to the BBB which I am sure will do exactly nothing for me and lodged a complaint against them on carcomplaints.com.

Has anyone else had to replace this part? Or am I the only one fortunate to have to shell out $560 on some stupid part that they barely make available to their customers?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wtf are you talking about? never heard of that before, whats it look like?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

I'll take a picture of it I made sure to keep the original part. Its basically a metal square with two ports on the bottom of it, and a big port in the middle part of it that plugs into the back of the IPM (fuses and relay box). Its also called the "gateway" module which I guess is a nickname for it as it communicates to all the other modules and relays throughout the electrical system. Basically if it fails then nothing can communicate. When mine was faulty the dealership was getting no communication between the vehicle and their scan tools which makes it pretty difficult to find out what might be the problem with the vehicle.

All I know is if all of a sudden all your warning lights stay on, your brake lights stay lit up, your reverse lights don't work, your speedometer, temperature guage, tachometer, and radio amp don't work that the first thing you should suspect is the FCM. Don't let the dealer take their time "searching" for the problem and checking relays and fuses which any dummy can do. If their scan tools can't communicate with the vehicle its a pretty good indicator that the FCM is probably bad.

Last edited by Shibby927; 01-20-2009 at 02:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ductking1 (09-08-2021)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I havent heard anyone having any problems with it, for that matter even on other sites, but you sound like you have an idea of why it happened. Go for it you have nothing to lose. Let us know how ya make out. And good informational thread for the others

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

Here's some pictures of the Front Control Module for those who like me before have no idea what the hell this thing is.

Here's to hoping nobody else has one of these things fail. Personally I think it is a pretty damned dumb that they don't have some sort of fail safe in the computer on the vehicle that would keep at least your instrument cluster items, airbags, and abs on even in the event that the FCM fails. Guess that would be common sense but apparently Chrysler would rather me be forced to drive an unsafe vehicle.

Talked to Chrysler for like an hour over the issue. To summarize the conversation:

shibby: "Hey Chrysler I think you guys should man up and reimburse me for the part that you obviously keep in short supply, and that when it fails forces a person with only one vehicle to drive a completely unsafe vehicle. Not to mention my truck has 44k on it and there's no reason for a major computer component to be taking a **** this early. Oh and perhaps in future vehicles this part should be incorporated into the inside of the ICM box so as to better protect it from cold weather and the elements."

chrylser: "Go f yourself you are out of warranty. Thank you come again."

Last edited by Shibby927; 01-20-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

It's plugged into the fuse box like right on the back of it nearest the firewall.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibby927
It's plugged into the fuse box like right on the back of it nearest the firewall.
Exactly...

Did the garage give you any reasons the damn thing died or why it coulda died?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

Nope no real reason. The weird thing was that when it went out it was totally out of the blue. I went into Wal-Mart. Came out started my truck and nothing was working.. just like that. No forewarning or anything. My best guess is that it went out because of the cold or that perhaps condensation might have gotten inside of it somehow seeing as it is for some reason pretty much uncovered under the hood.

The awesome thing is that you can detach it, or even unplug the connectors and your truck will still start up and run.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW,
When was the last time you washed your engine compartment? or under your truck? maybe water got in there and froze?

LB

Quick Reply: Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?