3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I wash mine everyweek... inside and out

Old 05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
scorpi1873
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front Control Module.....

I am having the exact same problems with my wifes 05' durango 4.7. Loss comunication, no tach or odo, but all idiot lights on and if you lock the vehicle with the electric door lock or the remote after a while the alarm will go off. There is a recall on the insturment control panels on the 04-06 durangos (shorts and fires)had mine replaced last week through the dealer and was hopeing that cured the other issues, but it still does the same things. It also keeps running when you shut the key off. They also told me it could have been the key switch, replaced that and no change. But after reading what problems you had I belive I have the same issue.And found out the car alarm runs through the FCM. Just letting you know you aint alone. And going to order one.

Last edited by scorpi1873; 05-30-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM
ice.v8

I have a 2003 Cummins 2500 quad cab, it's a canadian version so i have daytime running lights. I need to disable that function, i read that i can change my FCM with one from an american Ram.... my friend has a 2004 SRT10 single cab, american version.
Can i trade his FCM with mine ? so i haven't daytime running lights and he will have that. Is there some problems ? will this work ?
thank you so much...

Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I can’t understand why as an owner of my vehicle I have no real access to the computer and its settings except for minor end-user changes without having to buy a 2k plus Star Scan tool. It’s like I have been locked out of my own property. Why not offer the program for a PC with say an outboard board module. The price could be a quarter of the scan tool from Miller Tool. Just load a dual boot Linux into your laptop for the program environment

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Ramit2004

Originally Posted by Shibby927
Finally got this damned Front Control Module part replaced back on the 5th of this month after having my truck into the dealer on three seperate occasions trying to determine what the problem was, its finally up and running and back to normal. I am attempting to get Chrysler to reimburse me for the part. Probably a far fetched idea, but I think that this component in particular fails because of design flaw. This component is connected to the IPM or the intergrated power module and while all the fuses and relays in the IPM are covered by a lid the FCM is basically open to the elements the only protection being the hood of the vehicle. I am wondering if nearly record breaking cold temperatures have had anything to do with this component failing.

The indian guys on the phone with Chrysler customer services just constantly insist that my vehicle is out of warranty and there is nothing they are going to do about it. At least that's what I could understand through their accents.

Apparently this is not all that uncommon of an issue as I managed to scrouge up this service bulletin on google.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_0806005.pdf

I don't understand why you would make a computer component like that so that when it fails it basically messes up all of your electrical components. I had no brake lights, no reverse lights, no speedo, no tach, no temp guage, a non amplified radio, no ABS, and no airbags while the faulty part was still in my truck.

Oh well I guess, I reported the dealership and chrysler to the BBB which I am sure will do exactly nothing for me and lodged a complaint against them on carcomplaints.com.

Has anyone else had to replace this part? Or am I the only one fortunate to have to shell out $560 on some stupid part that they barely make available to their customers?
I have changed mine three times. Just the headlight on driver side goes out

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 AM
djsilver
Professional

Mine has a problem right now. The backup lights don't work. I started by checking the bulbs/wires/fuse. I figured out the fuse is good but I'm not getting an output from the FCM to the hotwire for the lights. I have an FSM and read up on the subject. The reverse signal condition is interpreted by the Transmission control module from a multi-contact "range sensor" on the transmission. The TCM tells the cluster (CCM) what gear you're in on the low speed CAN-bus and tells the FCM on the high speed CAN-bus. My cluster is getting the information, so the range sensor and TCM are working.
I took it to the dealer for a check out. They kept it all day and said they'd scanned it and sent the info to Dodge for more info. I've called back a couple of times and they've said they're still looking into it. I don't think they want me to bring it back....,
The power for the backup lights goes from the fuse to the FCM and from the FCM to the lights. It has to have a relay in it for that to work and I suspect it's burned out.

I work in a power-plant and we have hundreds of input-output cards of various kinds. If we have an output that quits working while we're running, we can't just pull the card because of other stuff that's on it. We'll often switch it to a spare location and re-address it in the control system, until we can make a repair. The FCM has spare outputs but I don't think they know what to do with them...., I'll probably end up putting a microswitch on the shifter and wiring the lights through a separate relay, not connected to the FCM

Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
LoCatus
Rookie

Another fine example of the auto maker forgetting the all important KISS rule. Keep it simple.

In all honesty, there should be but one computer hard wired to the vehicles. And that would be the one that controls the injection/ignition systems. Everything else should be accessories and OPTIONAL.

Biggest one that bothers me is the computer controlled transmissions. Spends so much time worrying about smooth acceleration and other crud it forgets to put power to the pavement. Nice if you are on a road trip. BUT! When it comes time, what do we get? I'll tell you. We get a 4.7l engine sporting TRUCK that can't pull a 5k pound boat up the ramp. PAH! Variable pitch torque converters, computer controlled shift points, having to "learn" the operators driving habit? Was a lot cheaper and more reliable to simply use a governor, kick down cable and vacuum modulator. Mash the gas and off you go.

PCM, FCM, All for what? So they can save a couple $$ using cheaper switches on the dash? or so we can have silly things like dome and headlights stay on for a time? PAH again. Unnecessary crud. Especially on a truck. Made even worse when they run safety related systems through these little boxes.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Why is this posted in the Dakota section?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Why is this posted in the Dakota section?
Because Shibby had his Dak then and the issue was on it...

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

ahhhh....si senor. gracias.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?