3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Night_Runner
you cant put mtx in the same league as jl. are you high?
The answer is obviously yes. Why do you think the mtx sOUNds soooo goooD.

Seriously...JL is a vastly superior product when it comes to quality.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakolorado
Thanks for the input, altair do you have your unit cracked to watch movies on the go? I want mygig however the nav units are selling for 800 bucks. The non nav are not bad around 2-300.

Didnt dodge make a bezel for the mygig, why would you need to cut it? Just replace it...
They might, I thought that was only for the 08+ Daks though which have a different bezel altogether. I didn't look into it because I want to pay for it, especially since I planned on painting mine down the road anyway so I figured I'd just fix whatever mistakes i made cutting it then. Mine's a non-nav picked it up for $100 on an auction where the guy bought a low-speed unit to put in a high speed bus vehicle and thought it was a dud.

I used the MyGig Lockpick Adapter from Coastal Electronics Tech to install it, made the whole process quite painless. I had looked into making up my own harness but even finding the parts was a huge pain so I bit the bullet and bought the adapter, don't regret it at all. Since that includes the Lockpick everything is unlocked on mine, down the road I will probably add a reverse camera and I'm planning to pick up the Uconnect and Ipod control modules for it as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Night_Runner
you cant put mtx in the same league as jl. are you high?
Who are you talking to? Need a quote. If its me no you cannot put the two in the same league... JL has always been my favorite however I have owned both and like both. The only reason I mentioned mtx was due to their having a custom box with more airspace for our trucks... I can remove the MTX sub and install the JL.

Vr
Brandon

Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ya it was you dakolorado. and why dont you just get the dimensions for their box and

a-take the time to do it right and make it using the correct materials
b-have it done by a highly recommended shop near you

or you can do

c-take it to that highly recommended shop that you know does good work and
c1-have them build you a custom box specific for the air requirements for your sub (and you can decide if you want a closed or ported box...i highly doubt with our trucks youll have enough room for a bandpass) or
c2-have them draw up a sketch with dimensions, say youll think about it and snag their renderings...and bam, make it yourself

just a couple options

Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 AM
dakolorado
Professional

MDF is best but the enclosure dimensions dont allow for it. The thicker mtx box is better for our location due to its weird design over hang on the outterside of the rear hinge.

MTX box is an A+ design and very rigid.

JL sub is superior to MTX however they dont have an enclosure for us.

Put the two together and vioula!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
mikemiler

Hey Dakolorado do you have all the dimensions for that box so I can take it to a shop and have one made myself...I called and they told me they would need the measurements Length, Height, Width, Top Depth and Bottom Depth if you can send me that I would greatly appreciate it. Or tell me who the shop was and maybe they have the sub box in the system still.
Thanks,
Mike Miller

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mprohr
Yeah, I'm just saying....It never hurts to have more protection. I've seen lots of mishaps with woofers, and If JL already makes it, you won't have any excursion issues.
Be carefull with the grilles!! Most of the modern subs are designed to expand father than the ring and putting a grille on it will restrict the movement and the the foam seal will break!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by mikemiler
Hey Dakolorado do you have all the dimensions for that box so I can take it to a shop and have one made myself...I called and they told me they would need the measurements Length, Height, Width, Top Depth and Bottom Depth if you can send me that I would greatly appreciate it. Or tell me who the shop was and maybe they have the sub box in the system still.
Thanks,
Mike Miller
Hey mike,
I still have the box and subwoofer, if you want it let me know. I will sell it to you. PM me.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Sacrichboy

where did you get the box and woofer? im trying to do this in my 05 dakota.

Quick Reply: Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)