3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking for Brake Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM
morton911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Brake Replacement Recommendation

Hi Everyone...Can't say enough about all the contributions here.

I am an original owner of my '05 Laramie and have many of the most common problems. Most notably, and forever will leave a bad taste in my mouth over 7 attempts to correct, is the infamous Vibration problem. Before hitting 8K miles, 4 different sets of tires, 2 sets of replacement wheels, TSB performed and on and on, still only 90% fixed and vibrations occur at 68 MPH.

But, enough whining.

I just need a couple suggestions on rotor and pad replacement. I am a believer that you get what you pay for and I want something slightly better than OEM, but it does not need to be high-performance. Average+ and good reputation brand is what I am looking for.

A few suggestions that have worked well for people would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Michael

Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

check out r1 concepts man...they're rotors a for a good price..2 for $125 Slotted and Cross drilled....http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...ne%20-%20Front

And if u want pads they have some too but ssbc makes good ones as well....

Old 02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on R1

As for the vibration, if it has been a long time since you had the TSB done, take it back and have it performed again. In some instances, bad parts were replaced with bad parts. I think it has all been straightened out now. Maybe take it to a different dealer. Look for the M on the axles yourself.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
LB
Veteran

Originally Posted by snipingdude
check out r1 concepts man...they're rotors a for a good price..2 for $125 Slotted and Cross drilled....http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...ne%20-%20Front

And if u want pads they have some too but ssbc makes good ones as well....
did you get 2 for $125? or each? did you get the slotted and crossdrilled? what are the advantages of both options?

Thanks,
LB

Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LB
did you get 2 for $125? or each? did you get the slotted and crossdrilled? what are the advantages of both options?

Thanks,
LB
Yes both are for $125 which are both slotted AND cross drilled....

The most notable advantage is they have an increased surface area to allow better cooling. Other advantages include lower rotational mass, better off-gassing properties, and increased wet performance.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
morton911

Thanks for the responses.

Snipingdude, R1 concepts looks like a good deal for a better product and seems like a frontrunner. Their pad price/quality seems reasonable as well so I may just get the bundle from them.

One last quick question for you guys that have changed your fronts. I'm changing mine because I need to with 35K miles, but would you recommend I check the rears, or is it a low-risk gamble that I probably don't need to worry about checking them, say until 50K miles?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 03-01-2009, 02:14 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check them now. If they have plenty of meat, do them at 50k. Probably wouldn't hurt to take compressed air and brake cleaner to the parts now anyway. I hate those damn springs.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
i didnt have to change mine yet... i am at almost 60k. i cleaned them up with some brake clean and air.. it doesnt look like they get a lot of real use. i am guessing they dont handle much of the braking dutys.

**Edit**

Here is a pic of the new rotors and calipers I just put on... I went with the free semi metallic pads that came with the rotors...

I got my rotors and pads from here.

I got new calipers because the drivers side tore up an o-ring when I was backing off the pistons...
I went to napa for the calipers...
Badass man, they look killer

Quick Reply: Looking for Brake Replacement Recommendation