3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Got my rear shocks for my lift, quick question for those experienced

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monkey, where did you find these shocks? I looked on the roughcountry website, and they only go up to '03. Are those the ones that you used? You can't beat $70 for a pair. I would like to get some. Also, do they have them for the front too?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
NJJer
Veteran

MonkeyWrench4000

Glad to hear all went well. I hate to say this, but be careful as the shocks being longer will bottom out sooner than stock do to the extra length. Remember now that extra shock length is compressed at the +2" length and these shocks are +4-5" in length. So that is 2-3" compressed already.

Also, when jacking the truck up, make sure that the longer shocks don't allow the axle to hang too low and rip your brake lines.

Just trying to help ya out,....not always spread bad news.

Originally Posted by FirstDodge05
Monkey, where did you find these shocks? I looked on the roughcountry website, and they only go up to '03. Are those the ones that you used? You can't beat $70 for a pair. I would like to get some. Also, do they have them for the front too?
You want mine cheap? Like brand new and we could even meet up and I will hand deliver them to you.
White w/red boots on them. Boots even cost me extra.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional

Originally Posted by NJJer
MonkeyWrench4000

Glad to hear all went well. I hate to say this, but be careful as the shocks being longer will bottom out sooner than stock due to the extra length. Remember now that extra shock length is compressed at the +2" length and these shocks are +4-5" in length. So that is 2-3" compressed already.

Also, when jacking the truck up, make sure that the longer shocks don't allow the axle to hang too low and rip your brake lines.

Just trying to help ya out,....not always spread bad news.

You want mine cheap? Like brand new and we could even meet up and I will hand deliver them to you.
White w/red boots on them. Boots even cost me extra.

Is this something to be concerned about, or a reason that some people may have strayed away from these for? Just wondering, I don't know the first thing when it comes to suspension. I don't do any aggressive offroading or anything, but would it become a problem during everyday driving?

Pending an answer to my aforementioned question-- I'd definitly be interested in that deal! Beats paying for shipping. Just gimme a day and I'm there. Where abouts are you at in Jersey?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to call rough coutry and tell them my situation, they just don't list the PN because its part of a kit for our truck. These shocks will only work with a 2" or more lift in the rear though.

You should buy them off of NJJer though, rather then deal with tax and shipping.

However, they seem to work pretty well thus far, and I am not to concerned about them getting over compressed.

The shocks seem fine NJJer, what can I do to protect my brake lines if I ever do put the rear wheels off the ground? You mentioned modification to the brake line brackets? I did see that one line was being tugged when I installed my lift kit, but it didn't seem too bad.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
dakolorado
Professional

If you feel you may limit your brake lines you can make a brake line bracket drop and run them lower on the frame and hard line.

You can also have a local brake place make you custom length lines, they may be rubber and still have a squishy feel but they will be cheaper then custome ss braided lines. Mine for my jeep were 200 bucks.

You can also just use limiting straps if you care to, cheap easy fix and will allow you to not bust your shocks by over extending them.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
dakolorado
Professional

From The looks of this picture your shocks are compressed too much, I think NJjer is correct you are going to top that shock out on just a few inches of uptravel.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

It really DOES look that way doesnt it? I think it has more along the lines of around 4" of compression left at the worst case scenario, I can measure if I have too. They ride so much nicer IMO, so I am going to live with the possibility of them topping out, but I think I am in the clear unless I have the rear really really loaded with weight. And if the compression shortens there life, well they were only $30 each so I wont cry about it I will just cut my loses and move on. And at least now we know these shocks are a good candidate for someone that may get a good size lift in the truck in the future.

I was thinking, If I really wanted too, I probablly could have bought NEW mounting hardware (where the shock mounts too the axle) and welded it higher on the axle, or relocate the original one, that would proablly get close to correcting the 2".

These rough country would be better suited for 4" of lift, probablly even good for 6".
They are working out pretty good so far but I will definately let you guys know the woes if and when they come.

Once I get around to it, I will see what I can do to give my brake lines more slack. It may be as simple as removing it from a bracket or two and dropping them down like you said. It's only 2", there has to be a quick fix! lol.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-04-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

This image shows a bracket on the frame that brings a hard line to the bracket, connects to a soft line, that runs to another bracket at the axle that turns into two hard lines again. It's the soft line that could be the only issue at full droop. (but i don't recall it being tugged when i inspected my full droop after installing the blocks) There is really no way to extend it by relocating anything, only a longer line will do. I will have to look into a replacement in the near future. THere is also a line attached too it with two ties, that is just capped above the bracket, some sort of bleeder? It goes down to the axle tube, just left of the pumpkin. This is the line i saw being stretched a bit at full droop, so all I have to do with that one is clip off the two ties, and pull some more slack down (it has some extra above the bracket) and re-tie it to the bracket, and that takes care of that one. And as far as the line comming from inside the wheel well, i can easily drop that little metal hanger to get some slack.

When it gets a bit warmer out, I will jack the truck up until the wheels hang, and see whats pulling, and take care of it accordingly.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by FirstDodge05
Is this something to be concerned about, or a reason that some people may have strayed away from these for? Just wondering, I don't know the first thing when it comes to suspension. I don't do any aggressive offroading or anything, but would it become a problem during everyday driving?

Pending an answer to my aforementioned question-- I'd definitly be interested in that deal! Beats paying for shipping. Just gimme a day and I'm there. Where abouts are you at in Jersey?

These guys above me did a damn good job of covering about everything. I am going to let you read what is here and decide if you would like them.

I am in Hunterdon County.
They are sitting here, if you decide you want them, just let me know.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional

^^^ They did do an exceptional job explaining them. I understand now. Well I didn't know they could only be used with a 2" lift in the rear. I wasn't really planning on going that route until later on down the road. I may hold off on those for awhile until I decide for sure what I wanna do. I appreciate the offer though, and if for some reason I change my mind, I'll let you know first!

Quick Reply: Got my rear shocks for my lift, quick question for those experienced