3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

09 Ram 1500 TRX4 Hemi Test Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 09 Ram 1500 TRX4 Hemi Test Drive Review

I went over to my local Dodge dealership and test drove a new Ram, here are the specs. Review follows:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4
-5.7L Hemi
-TRX4 package
-Crew Cab
-3.92 gears with Anti-spin diff.

First of all, the truck is amazing.

1.) Power plant: The new Hemi is very powerfull. 390 hp is nothing but astounding. The throttle response is very quick (unlike the the older Ford "throttle by wire" trucks.). The engine requires low throttle percentages to get were you need to be. When at 100% throttle, the transmission shifts into gear fairly quick and muscles through the gears with power everywhere.

2.) Suspension: Holy f&^*. Rides very smooth, yet stiffens up when hitting deep pot holes. The stability in corners is amazing and holds a strong stance. I can only imagine how well it will do in an off-road scenario.

3.) Brakes: Stops very well. ABS is very functional and the pedal feel is quite stout relative to my Dakota.

4.) Interior: Everything is right where it needs to be. This Ram has the column shifter and bench seat. All of the controls are easily accessable (including the selectable transfer case **** (unlike the Dakota). The sounds system is clear and precise. Seats are very comfortable and the center console folds up for a center seat. There are three cup holders that fold down from the dash, along with two cup holders in each door panel. The crew cab has plety of room for a 6' tall passenger. The rear window is electric and is a very nice feature.

5.) Overall, the only reason I didn't walk away with this truck that day was simply due to the trade-in value of my dakota. The price of the truck was unbeatable, but would not be worth it to me with the trade-in value they gave me. I can safely say that in a year, I will sell the Dakota and go to the new Ram platform.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by ericemery
I have driven a couple. The new Ram is a great truck.

I still owe 10 grand on the dak... once its paid off, I might be getting a second truck...

nice review, have you driven the ford and Chevs?

Yes, I drove the 2008 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3L flex fuel engine. It was pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as the Ram. I don't care for the low chin spoiler, and the throttle response was not nearly as quick.

I didn't drive the Ford. I don't really care for the new F-150, not my cup o' tea.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

I agree, the RamBox is awesome, however you do sacrifice bed capacity. Now, even though the sales guys tell you otherwise (as in, from wheel well to wheel well, you don't loose hardly any capacity), you still loose the spacer over, in front, and behind the wells. Other than that, I am all for the ram and nothing else.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

granted, they are a nice truck, but i doubt i will buy another fullsize, i have no need, and dodge still refuses to put out aftermarket parts. what can they get, a tuner, maybe a engine upgrade, cam, heads. granted. the ford and nissan have an aftermarket, supercharger, when is dodge gonna get one?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdak05
granted, they are a nice truck, but i doubt i will buy another fullsize, i have no need, and dodge still refuses to put out aftermarket parts. what can they get, a tuner, maybe a engine upgrade, cam, heads. granted. the ford and nissan have an aftermarket, supercharger, when is dodge gonna get one?
yeah not bashing dodge or anything but this will be my last...
its a sick truck and all but i just couldnt see myself getting another dodge..

Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the sticker price? I would buy dodge again, if they kill dakota or make it a unibody I am going fullsize in a few years.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdak05
It's a ram, the aftermarket will be all over it in no time. It's just us that gets the red-headed stepchild treatment.

Quick Reply: 09 Ram 1500 TRX4 Hemi Test Drive Review