3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

removing a mopar under the rail bedliner for cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing a mopar under the rail bedliner for cleaning?

Now that I've had my truck 2 years almost, I see a lot of dust and debris under the bedliner when I use the front tiedown hook area (under the popouts). Removing to clean came to mind, and after giving it a try last week , it almost appears "once in, cut it out to remove".

I'm sure someone on here has done this very thing, I can't go to a sprayed in liner, although would be nice in some ways.

Anyways, thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a do-it-yourself car wash with a couple of 8' 2x2s. Cut an angle at one end and shove them under the liner as far as possible. Stick pressure wash wand in there and wash thouroughly. Let dry. Remove boards. Not perfect, but effective, and better than trying to remove that damnn thing.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:04 PM
LB
Veteran

It either has to be HOT out or warmed with a heat lamp of sorts. I have taken a 2x4 up the middle and pried it un in the center as far as it will go then pull the sides out. It is a bitch, but can be done. The warmer the better for flexiblity.

I personally don't like (hate) the position of the factory hooks, by the time I get the bed filled its hard to get to them, plus if you haul gravel/dirt it gets in thorough the liner. Have the dodge engineers ever loaded the bed and tried to use the hooks????

I do like Mprohr's idea, going to have to try it.
If your driveway is sloped or put the front on some ramps so it washes out easier and drains.
LB

Last edited by LB; 03-21-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

I'll have to try a couple of these ideas.. thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 AM
jmz768

Why can't you go to a spray in liner? I've had Line-X in all my trucks and it's the greatest thing ever.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
flamered06
Rookie

I've heard spray in liners void the factory anti-corrosion warranty on the exterior paint. I think it's something like 7 years or 70,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
01dodge
Rookie

I don't know about about the warranty thing, my 01 had a bed liner in it and I had the same problem with the dirt, gravel, nails and every thing else I hauld in the back get under the liner. Now with my 06, I put in the Hurrculiner Bedlinner ( like a spray in but you put it in with a roller & brush) DIY thing, I got @ Auto Warehouse. Its the best thing I've done to my truck, just take a broom to it to clean it out or a pressure wash for the crap that sticks

Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
jmz768

Originally Posted by flamered06
I've heard spray in liners void the factory anti-corrosion warranty on the exterior paint. I think it's something like 7 years or 70,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is true?
I'm going to say that there's no way that can be true. A good spray in liner will outlast the truck. If you do get it done, go with Line-X. You won't be disappointed.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by jmz768
I'm going to say that there's no way that can be true. A good spray in liner will outlast the truck. If you do get it done, go with Line-X. You won't be disappointed.

well one thing, the liner came with the truck and the spray in are just a bit pricey..

Quick Reply: removing a mopar under the rail bedliner for cleaning?