3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front End Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
viper359
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I went to the dealer, it cost me $100 for a diagnostic, to learn it was a $20 problem. If they just offered better pricing on diagnostics, or even free if work performed at dealer, I think they would do a lot better. I honestly prefer getting my service (part work) done at a dealer, because I know they do not try to upsell repairs and make a problem worse than it is to get more money outta me like a lot of other places.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

WalMart will balance and check air pressure for like $6 a tire.

Most alignment places, like Midas, will check alignment for free, the catch being if the truck needs it, they do it on the spot for about $70. But if you need it, you need it. If you don't, it's still free.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

Quote"To add to it, when I turn the wheel in quarter turns hard with abrupt stops of the turn, I hear this hollow, almost metal sound coming from the left side of my front end."

When you are turning the wheel that quick the truck is rocking from side to side correct?
Try this...With your driver door open....standing on the rocker panel...Rock the truck from side to side as hard as u can....If you hear the clunking..Check your Stabilizer Links.
Just trying to save you a diagnostic fee.

Now....If you would like to check your Tie Rod Ends...(assuming you have a floor jack)....
Position it under the lower control arm out close to the ball joint and tire. You only need to go high enuff to get the tire off the ground. Grab the tire at 3oclock n 9oclock n rock it back n forth.(in n out) If you feel any thunkin...it can either be the Inner or Outer Tie Rods. You may need an extra pair of eyes to see which.
While you have the tire off the ground check for wheel bearing play by grabing the wheel at 12oclock n 6oclock n rock it. If you have play you may have a wheel bearing gone bad.
While you still have the tire off the ground check you ball joints by sticking a pry bar under the tire n pull up n let off quickly...if you hear clunkin' or see play it can be either the upper of lower ball joints gone bad. An extra pair of eyes my be needed here also. Actually another pair of eyes in all of this is almost nessacary..Plus with the extra eyes are a pair of extra hands to grab u another beer. lol
Good luck n keep us updated.
Hope this helps
WvChamp

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

Well ?

Quick Reply: Front End Question