3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front End Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 AM
viper359
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Question

Team;

I have this vibrating in the wheel, like you would see in the movies when a pilot leaves the cockpit, and the yolk moves left to right. I have to compensate to the right to keep it straight. This vibration is strong and felt at almost all speeds. Sounds like an alignment issue I think.... but would love some suggestions. To add to it, when I turn the wheel in quarter turns hard with abrupt stops of the turn, I hear this hollow, almost metal sound coming from the left side of my front end.

I have uni-directional tires, tread is fine, no obstructions, not under inflated, if anything, might be over by a pound or two. Truck has always has always been out of alignment (minor) since I bought it. (Used) Never had the vibration.

This happened while returning home, i noticed it. Never hit anything like a pothole etc. Any idea guys what this might be? Just trying to see how much this is going to ding my wallet to repair, and if it is still safe to drive.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the steering to me. Some guys have had rack an pinion problems. That would be my guess especially with the binding and hard turning. I would definitely get it checked out asap. It wouldnt be cool if you lost steering while going down the road... Good luck and let us know the outcome

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with uni-directional tires the steel belts tend to seperate inside the tire. you could have abad tire. but the howling noise when turning, could also be a frozen brake caliper

Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
viper359
Professional

I should clarify that noise I mentioned. I only hear it when I was in my parking garage. While stopped, I grab the wheel turn it hard and quick to the left and then stop it just as hard and I hear the noise. When I make a normal turn etc, I don't hear it.

If it was a rack an pinion problem, would that be covered under power train warranty?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

?? So its only when you are turning back to straight from being turned when you are stopped? Does it do it to the right too?

I doubt it will be covered beings its most likely steering and or suspension

Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
viper359
Professional

going to get very non tech here. lol. There is one large metal piece that comes out from under the track that connects the wheel. Then there is some plunger looking thing, when I turn the wheel so it is exposed, all of it looks ok. When I shake the wheel back and forth I hear this noise. It sounds very hollow, almost like a plunger lol.

When I put the wheel to straight, my tires seem to be straight as well, so the alignment does not seem that out of wack. However, when driving, it vibrates so much it will take itself out of the lane. It moves to the left, so I have to compensate by turning the wheel right.

Is there a easy way to see if a belt broke in my uni directional tires? I gave a once over visual inspection, everything seems ok, but it was also dark in a gas station, and I have no idea what I would be looking for.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Assuming you have 4WD, the plunger thing is the CV axle that drives the wheel in 4 wheel mode. It could be damaged, resulting in clunking. Not likely however.

You would never be able to visually inspect your front tires and determine if they are aligned or not. A fraction of an inch can make the truck pull *hard*. Any misalignment you could pick out with the naked eye would probably render the truck undriveable.

You seem to be talking about 3 different issues here:

1) Severe vibration, that can be felt in the steering wheel

2) A hard pull to one side

3) A strange clunking noise under certian conditions

#1 and #2 could be related. If you've lost balance weights on one or both front wheels, it could cause both vibration and pulling even with a good alignment. I think the first thing you should do is get a four-wheel balance and have them check your tire pressures. See if that affects the symptoms. The next move would be a front end alignment.

Clunking could be your CV's, but that would be sign of damage caused by rampant off-road abuse. I'm sure something else would break before the CV axles. Tie rod ends, control arm balljoints and the swaybar are all suspects as well. If balance and alignment don't help, I'd get the truck to a shop.

Last edited by cramerica; 03-30-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

The strange clunking could be him hitting the steering stops. Mine does it, I figured it out when I was rotating the tires and seen the wear spots where it was hitting and sliding... in turn would cause the noise and movement

Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
viper359
Professional

Awsome, Thanks guys. You have given me a good plan of action.

I shall first inspect the tires to see if I did in fact lose a weight or something. very possible, and I never looked for that.

After that, I shall get an alignment done, and put my normal all seasons back on.

If it still happens, then I guess you will see me asking what's next.

Trying to avoid going to dealer, because I know its going to cost 100 bux just to get it diagnosed.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

No shame in trying to save a buck man Good luck

Quick Reply: Front End Question