3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

General Alignment questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
ahicks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my front end done after installing a lift kit. Everything seems straight, it's going where I point it, but not on it's own. I have to tell it to? The crown of the road, even slight, will force you to hold in a correction towards the top of the crown. Any side wind the same thing. You have to hold it. Is this normal? Haven't had this truck that long, it's my first Gen3. I've had 3 other Dakotas, and none of them were like this. It feels like I may not have enough caster? It seems like it should want to go straighter on its own without the need to hold near constant corrections one way or the other? Thinking it was not like this prior to this alignment, and of course there were no before and after specs. supplied.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like they didn't do a great job on the alignment. The road crown will make it turn slightly if you let go of the wheel but never enough that I actually notice it.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

After my alignment, all but a couple roads require any noticable adjustment for crown. My truck used to put the right tires over the white line in about 2-3 seconds. Now it will track straight for much longer, on good state roads almost indefinitely. Wider tires will make the crown more noticable, but my 265's still run straight.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by cramerica
After my alignment, all but a couple roads require any noticable adjustment for crown. My truck used to put the right tires over the white line in about 2-3 seconds. Now it will track straight for much longer, on good state roads almost indefinitely. Wider tires will make the crown more noticable, but my 265's still run straight.

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for/trying to figure out how to write. That's what mine is doing. Looks like i'm going to have to track down somebody different to do the alignment. Anyone else have good luck with Sears?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Joe_K

The only place I've had good luck with alignment is a Dodge dealer, even though it costs a little more.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
BlackDak37

Originally Posted by ahicks
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for/trying to figure out how to write. That's what mine is doing. Looks like i'm going to have to track down somebody different to do the alignment. Anyone else have good luck with Sears?
I dont quite understand what your saying, do you mean that the truck will wander left or right, and doesnt want to return to straight and center? Usually that is a Caster issue isnt it? If your steering wheel feels very light, and wants to wander every little way the road turns (and rarely wants to return to center), usually that means that you have too much negative caster. And on the other end, if its too positive, your steering wheel will feel heavy, and tends to yank you when you hit small bumps. I am not sure what the 3rd gen dakota caster is supposed to be aligned to honestly.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_K
The only place I've had good luck with alignment is a Dodge dealer, even though it costs a little more.
This is probablly the best advice. It's worth a little more money then to have to sit through 2 or 3 alignment jobs in a row, or have to go from place to place to find a good alignment shop. The dealers work on our trucks all the time, I am sure the alignment guy knows the issues and the tricks to get good results with dakotas and rams.

I have to be honest, I have never had so many alignments on a vehicle in my life. Since I have been through so many power steering racks, plus the lift kit, I must have had 4 alignments in 35,000 miles.

My previous cars and trucks I may have gotten one alignment there entire life lol. I just never bothered cause I always had near normal tire wear.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Sears had mine on the laser machine for about 35 minutes, and got it right the first time. I have no doubt some Sears are better than others, but they gave me a nice print of before-nominal-after values for each major adjustment to each wheel. My truck was pretty damn out of whack, particularly on toe-in. Like I said, much better now.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackDak37
I dont quite understand what your saying, do you mean that the truck will wander left or right, and doesnt want to return to straight and center? Usually that is a Caster issue isnt it? If your steering wheel feels very light, and wants to wander every little way the road turns (and rarely wants to return to center), usually that means that you have too much negative caster. And on the other end, if its too positive, your steering wheel will feel heavy, and tends to yank you when you hit small bumps. I am not sure what the 3rd gen dakota caster is supposed to be aligned to honestly.
I think if the truck were on a flat level surface with no wind or other influences, it would go straight. It really isn't all that bad in city traffic, it's when the traffic clears or you'r out on the e-way that you notice it most. Logic says it's a caster issue, but I'm darn sure no alignment expert.

My experience with the local Dodge dealers has been I'm as likely to run into incompetence/casual attitudes there as I am anywhere else - and pay twice the going rate for it. I avoid them as a rule, last resort kind of thing, but that's just my own experience.

Wherever I go, I'm going to insist on before and after specs. I think that's a great idea. -Al

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
tankmechus
Rookie

Had trouble getting the alignment correct on mine, as well. Went to Sears, and it didn't feel right. Took it back and the rechecked it, corrected where it was still out of spec. I still have to hold the steering wheel cocked a little to the left, but they assured me that it was fixed now. They told me "it had" to be tire feathering or uneven wear that is causing it to not track straight and that I should just drive it and see if it gets better after my next tire rotation. Never seen a vehicle that I've had so many problems with!!

Quick Reply: General Alignment questions..