3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Water leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a sunroof by any chance?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 AM
ramos160
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I created another thread with pictures of where the leak might be coming from, not sure if it was a good idea.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by ramos160
Nope, I created another thread with pictures of where the leak might be coming from, not sure if it was a good idea.
I'll merge it with this one, keep all the info on it in one place.

Done, it merges them together based on post times so the pictures are at the bottom of the previous page. Is that third pic right behind the blower box for the HVAC?

Last edited by Altair; 04-12-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:04 AM
ramos160
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
I'll merge it with this one, keep all the info on it in one place.

Done, it merges them together based on post times so the pictures are at the bottom of the previous page. Is that third pic right behind the blower box for the HVAC?
Thanks for merging them. If the blower box is right underneath the glove compartment, then yes the third pic is right behind the blower box for the HVAC. The leak is coming from the front part of the firewall area, that corner is the passenger side corner, think of it as if you were laying down on the bottom passenger side floor and just looking straight up, the leak is close to the edge of the firewall but still on the firewall. I'm not sure where the AC lines are at. The water comes in my truck only after it has rained. There's a hole somewhere.

I might take everything apart and take it to a Dodge Dealership; maybe this will save me some money in labor. The dodge rep said I should l probably expect to pay around $500 bucks to get it repaired; but if they say it's fixed- they guarantee it. I have already spent $300 with a local mechanic called Hitman Collission. He supposedly fixed it and charged me $300 bucks to apply somekind of silicon around the weatherstripping on the door. He stated that this type of job is a process of elimination, which I understand, but still $300 bucks to seal up the weatherstripping on the door and the problem is still there. I then took it to another place called SAP enterprise, he charged me $60 bucks, not really sure what he did.

Last edited by ramos160; 04-12-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Yowch, I hope he did more than just silicon the stripping for $300, that's crazy steep. That spot you photographed, can you see where the actual leak is or only that the water is coming down there? One method you can use if you don't have it precisely pinpointed is move as much stuff as you can out of the way then get in there with a flashlight and have a friend spray the truck with a hose till you find the exact spot it's coming in. I had to resort to that when I was getting water in the trunk of my integra, turned out to be a loose sunroof drain tube (which is why I was curious if you had a sunroof ).

Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 AM
ramos160
Professional

He basically sprayed water on it to try and find the leak. He did not remove the cowl or any other parts. In fact, I brought the truck to him w/ the door panel and trim around the door removed to show him where I thought the water was coming from. I think he charged around 60 bucks an hour (Hitman Collision), he probably charged me for the time it took for the silicone to dry. I got a good recommendation from some random person who hit my wife's car about this place so I decided to take it there- obviously was a mistake. He might be good at body work, but something that requires a little more thinking, like finding a leak, he sucks at. I was glad to pay $300 bucks thinking that the leak was gone.

I'll try that next, I'm definitely going to remove the cowl, right passenger side fender and whatever else I can get out. The insulation that goes against the firewall is impossible to remove or work around, it looks as if the whole dash needs to come out to get that stuff out of the way. I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from, only that it is coming from that area.

How long until your friend let you out of the trunk?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by ramos160
I'll try that next, I'm definitely going to remove the cowl, right passenger side fender and whatever else I can get out. The insulation that goes against the firewall is impossible to remove or work around, it looks as if the whole dash needs to come out to get that stuff out of the way. I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from, only that it is coming from that area.

How long until your friend let you out of the trunk?
Good luck, hopefully you find it. The integra is a fastback styled hatch, I had the rear seats out at the time too so I could get to the front door pretty easily.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
ramos160
Professional

Anyone know how difficult it would be to remove the whole dash out of the 2005 Dakota? If I remove the seats, do I mess up any of the safety equipment on the vehicle, like the airbag sensors.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 AM
LynnC
Default 2006 Dodge Dakota Water Leak

I have had a water leak in my truck ever since I drove it off the lot. It was fixed for awhile, but now it's back. Dealer did a lot of work re: sunroof drain that runs down the passenger side of the windshield. They kept the truck a long time working on the problem & I had to take it back several times. Last time, they said the tube was stopped up & it didn't leak for over a year. Now it is leaking again around the top screw hole above the grab handle. Haven't called dealer yet, 'cause I need the truck. Any ideas???

Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

My 06 had a bad leak on the passenger side. The dealer has a 3rd. party contractor that comes in to repair leaks. They fixed it the first time. This is very common with the Gen IIIs. They found a poorly sealed weld in the upper A pillar. My 07 had a AC condensation leak on the right floor and they fixed that no problem.

Quick Reply: Water leaks?