3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wheel Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinger838
would wheel adapters do the same damage as spacers?
Depends what kind of damage you're referring to. The worst thing usually about wheel spacers is that some people don't realize that the amount of wheel stud threads is shortened by the thickness of the spacers when they mount them. Typically they are only 1/4 to 1/2" thick. But, if it's too little threads, it can end up stripping the them out and then you lose your lug nuts. No one needs to be told what the result is when that happens. :/

Sticking your rims and tires out another 1/4" with spacers certainly shouldn't increase the load that much to damage anything. Adapters, on the other hand, are typically a lot thicker than spacers, which definitely puts more load on the ball joints and suspension components, which could lead to premature failure. Especially with the less-than stellar engineering on the front end of our Daks.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading around on em. Some people have no problems, some people do. One thing I did read was to find bigger studs to put in them.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Fatty122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're on the right track... I have 2" spacers on the front of my 07. I replaced the studs with some heavy duty 5/8 ones, and its been fine. However these will only be on there for another two months or so, or until i finsh my new boxed lower arms

Quick Reply: Wheel Adapter