3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Double Din Head Unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double Din Head Unit ?

Was looking at this unit and wondering if it would fit?
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...409024110.html

and the face plate do they make one to fit doubles?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

will the same factory bolt up spots be used, or would I need to modify that as well?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

You will have to cut the bezel, I'm nearly positive it will fit fine back there width wise, may want to look back there and measure for height though. My MyGig is actually a little wider than the 'ears' on the stock radio and it fits in like a glove, I think it's slightly shorter than a double din, might be the same I'm not 100% sure.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
sfrost74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I mat ask what did you use to cut the dash bezel and is NAV an option on our trucks and i can just buy a double din bezel

Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by sfrost74
If I mat ask what did you use to cut the dash bezel and is NAV an option on our trucks and i can just buy a double din bezel
I used a scroll saw and a dremel with a cut-off wheel. You could do all the cutting with the dremel the scroll saw is just easier to get a good cut with and faster, the dremel requires steady hands and marking your cut well. (Don't do what I did and mark it with pencil, barely showed up and once the dust and debris started flying couldn't see it at all, lol)

Originally Posted by ericemery
the MyGig is not a standard double din... it is wider and shorter. (atleast the face is from the measurements I pulled from a 300 on the lot) A double din should in theory use the same mounting points as the factory radio, since the aftermarket dash kits do. and you would be cutting, so you could measure it out so that they would...
It may still be shorter than a Double DIN but I can say the MyGig is a little taller than it seems from what you would see measuring the face. Whenever I have time to get back in there and fix my antenna adapter cable I'll measure the unit and take some pictures. Probably be a little while though.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

I don't believe they make a bigger dash bezel than single din for our trucks do they? or is there a nav one thats a little bigger, I don't mind cutting mine as long as it's perfect cuz thats the way I like things. I'd take my time. did you have to Paint the Dash Bezel after cutting it? or was it pretty clean after cutting it?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Well mine isn't cut perfect thanks to a few slips but for now it's installed as is. I had no time to deal with it when I installed the MyGig. When I have more time and a place to paint I'm going to fix up the edges of the cut then sand the whole thing down and paint it, you can't really tell unless you look close but it bugs me and I also hate the fake wood.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

I have the silver, so I think the flaws would stand out more than the fake wood being a bit darker, I would def have to paint, just have to find paint that won't scratch easy, or put a clear coat on to protect, or something.

Quick Reply: Double Din Head Unit ?