3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Improving low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
4point7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per Blu3's comment you can track one down at Summit, Jeggs, or any other retailer of performance parts. I've run the Magnaflow unit and it seems to do pretty well. Also, thanks for the recognition Blu3. It’s nice to hear someone else echo the virtues of exhaust velocity as opposed to “backpressure.”

As for removal of the cat's you'll get better performance numbers but that’s about it. The environmental impact of removing the converter would far outweigh the miniscule effect of the fuel consumption gains (even with PCV valves, computer controlled fuel mixtures, etc.).

No intent to flame here just tryin’ to tell it as it is. In short I would simply look to do what you can to maintain the exhaust gas flowing quickly. Like I said… smooth out the flow, minimize the impediments and you’ll see improvements to the low end.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 AM
puleo134

Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy
I just got this installed:

http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/ss409.html

and it lowered my rpms in all gears. I towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer which probably weighs close to what your trailer loaded weighed and if not the few thousand pounds in tools definite pushed it over what you were hauling and had little problem going from Indiana to Boston. It was slow going up hills to keep the rpms down but even in tow haul mode I was do 65 up hill under 2k rpms for a good chunk of the trip. I changed the pipe up to 2.5" I think from the ypipe back with dual outs. Not very loud, can hear it around 2k rpms and that's about it.
You should have gotton it done at Echo Muffler in Quincy. I have a custom dual flowmaster 40 series done by them and they are the best around. They did it for $500 and Lou's wanted $650

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Holy crap! An old thread!!

I wonder what he did? Did he get gears, muffler, tuner???

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM
bain64
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
Holy crap! An old thread!!
Just 20 months. Come to think of it where the heck did the last year go?

Quick Reply: Improving low end torque