3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota Quad: Need help installing Rancho shocks on front

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
IRONMAN1120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I printed these out and they made all the difference. Thanks to everyone else too! I finally got one installed. Ran out of time last night doing the second. I'll do that one Saturday. Once I had the instructions the hardest part, as mentioned, was getting that rusty old nut off the top of the old strut! I had to drill it to pieces! I could heat it up due to the rubber gasket covering the surrounding area. Next time, I think I'll pay for the install. LOL. I thought since I have a compressor and impact tools I could do anything. It was definitely an education for me!

Originally Posted by Altair
According to the procedure in the factory service manual you should be able to get the assembly out with what you've done. When I had mine out I was following the instructions Trailmaster provided with their leveling kit ( http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...ions/DL223.pdf ) which also had me remove the tie rod end and upper a-arm from the steering knuckle which lets you drop the lower arm further. If you can manage to get some compressors in there and compress the strut it should come right out and would probably be easier, if you do it the way Trailmaster shows be sure to get an alignment after.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

What did you use to compress the springs? Nothing I could find at a loan-a-part program around here would come close to working with them. Mine is a TRX4 so I don't know if the springs are a bit harder or not.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
What did you use to compress the springs? Nothing I could find at a loan-a-part program around here would come close to working with them. Mine is a TRX4 so I don't know if the springs are a bit harder or not.
When I was working on mine I ran into the same problem so I took the struts to a local shop that had a wall-mounted spring compressor, takes no time at all with one of those.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
ahicks
Rookie

I bought a cheap (10.00?) pair of compressors at Harbor Freight when working on mine. They worked fine.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
IRONMAN1120

I used the loaner tool from Autozone. I ordered the set from Harbor Freight to for future use.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota Quad: Need help installing Rancho shocks on front