3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

"CAI" questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "CAI" questions

OK, for those of you that have "CAI's" does the sheetmetal that comes with them have a bottom and form a complete closed box when the hood is closed? If so, aren't you still limited to only the air that can come in thorough the small hole in the fenderwell?

If it is not a sealed box, is it really a COLD air intake? seems to me the stock airbox would be more cold air than it.

Just looking for input, I added an airaid intake tube, now thinking of opening the hole in the fenderwell to 3 or 4" ducting to the factory airbox, thinking it would produce the same results without the noise.

LB

Last edited by LB; 05-05-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My intent is to cut out the opening and eventually run it through the fender to the bottom of the truck. I'll probably use pvc and some kind of quick release or something for when I want to go mudding. But aftermarket CAIs are overall a lot less restrictive.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on going straight with my intake, right over the radiator and hopefully sit the filter in that little pocked in front of the radiator.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
OK, for those of you that have "CAI's" does the sheetmetal that comes with them have a bottom and form a complete closed box when the hood is closed? If so, aren't you still limited to only the air that can come in thorough the small hole in the fenderwell?

If it is not a sealed box, is it really a COLD air intake? seems to me the stock airbox would be more cold air than it.

Just looking for input, I added an airaid intake tube, now thinking of opening the hole in the fenderwell to 3 or 4" ducting to the factory airbox, thinking it would produce the same results without the noise.

LB
Yes the sheet metal has a bottom, and 3 other sides. It seals with the hood when closed. The two sides adjacent to the fender are gapped slightly, maybe a 1/2 inch or so (thinking of that maybe mine is drooping and needs readjusting). It acts more as a heat shield with a rubber sealing gasket than a sealed box. The air comes through the small hole still, but there is no restriction when the intake is asking for more air like a stock box has. I guess if you wanted to be technical its not "truly" a CAI until all the sides are completely sealed, but its definitely a big step towards one and the responses to it are noticeable. I would open it up more, why not, I have plans on pealing the foam away from the fender and doing the same, more airs not a bad thing. At least it will be there when the truck wants it

Quick Reply: "CAI" questions