3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Quivering Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quivering Truck

This is a problem I've had for a couple thousand miles now. I'm finally getting sick of it, particularly now that the truck just ticked over 35,000.

At any speed between about 50 and 60, the truck will quiver / shudder. Fairly high frequency, about as fast as you can drum your fingers on a table. I can feel it and see it, espically in the CB antenna. Bumps can start it quivering, but sometimes it just comes on. Other times, the truck rides smooth as glass. Go around a turn, and it can either come on or go away depending on what it was doing before the turn.

Sometimes it's minor, sometimes, it shakes hard enough to really **** me off.

That all leads me to believe my tires are still unbalanced. They are not stock, and this never happened with the stockers. Corners get the wheels spinning at different RPM, and maybe a couple of them are unbalanced and 'sync up' at certian speeds and start shaking.

I've had them balanced before, but I think now I am going to go to Sears and have them take the tires off the rims, and reinstall them on different rims, and completely rebalance them.

Hopefully the Sears plan works out. Any other thoughts?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put after market tires on my stock rims and the shakes kept coming back it's been rebalaced and rotated about 4 times now. since the last one I haven't had any issues but ya I know what you mean. I had it really bad the last time and since telling them and getting it all done again it's been good. I believe it has somthing to do with the rims or at lease mine the last time they balanced they used the fingers instead of the single center nut if that makes any sense. I sure someone can explane it better Than I can.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on the new tires? How many miles has it been since your last balance? Were they fine after the last balance? Did you get an alignment? Have you tried re-tourqing the lug nuts...in sequence...to proper spec? You may have thrown a weight. You may have shiddy tires. The rear axle/brake tsb may be coming on...but I doubt it. Your brakes may be shot, warped rotors/drums. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Same thing here at high speeds with my MTs man.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I doubt any brake or axle issues. It's an 07, and with 35K on the stock brakes, they are still perfectly smooth. I downshift alot and generally don't drive like an idiot, and I think that helps.

It's the tires, or possibly rear shocks are completely blown out, and do nothing to restrain the rear axle. Hopefully completely unmounting the tires will fix it.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

I completely unmounted my tires and to be extras sure I sprayed the brakes down with cleaner, and cleaned up everything i could get my hands on really.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point. Get Ranchos.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

shocks in the rear are supposed to stop shaking in the front at high speeds?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

There was an issue with the clips that hold the rear brake drums in place for factory use. If you still have the clips on your rear brake drums, remove them and re torque to wheels. Hope that helps you.

Quick Reply: Quivering Truck