3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
antichrysler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what to do

Well, I'm not sure what to do. My dads offering to give me his old truck. It's an 06 Dakota, 4x4, v8, fully loaded. Anyways here's the story. He leased it, it's got bout 82,000kms on it, lease is good for 80,000 and there's 2 years left.

Since they want him to pay out the remaining 2 years of payments before they'll let him out of it he's offered to make the payments for 2 years and let me have the truck provided I pay the km overages (0.15/km) and the plates.

Not sure if I should take it or not, here's my concerns:

1. It's a dodge.
2. It's been a pretty ****ty truck in terms of reliability
3. I don't know how well these trucks actually hold up or what typically goes wrong with them

The only thing I would want it for is to haul around my bike if I ever needed it, otherwise it would just sit in my parking spot and collect dust.

The question is, can this truck go 2 years without maintenance? I don't plan on doing any oil changes to it or anything since it's a lease. Like I said I just want it there in case I have something quick to move. I'm okay with paying the $80/month to license it and leave it in my drive way in case I need it, but that's about all I want to put in to it.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrysler
Well, I'm not sure what to do. My dads offering to give me his old truck. It's an 06 Dakota, 4x4, v8, fully loaded. Anyways here's the story. He leased it, it's got bout 82,000kms on it, lease is good for 80,000 and there's 2 years left.

Since they want him to pay out the remaining 2 years of payments before they'll let him out of it he's offered to make the payments for 2 years and let me have the truck provided I pay the km overages (0.15/km) and the plates.

1. It's a dodge.

So is the Viper, Challenger, Charger, Ram...along with SRT and Mopar and friends

3. I don't know how well these trucks actually hold up or what typically goes wrong with them

Well then how can you say its a sh!tty truck if you dont know?

Guy who had it before me drove it almost 50 Grand and nothings been really major except for a brake line...other than that the front end might be a bit bouncy but thats really it.

The only thing I would want it for is to haul around my bike if I ever needed it, otherwise it would just sit in my parking spot and collect dust.

The question is, can this truck go 2 years without maintenance?

If your not gonna drive it I dont think it would matter

Otherwise you'd figure any car would need an oil change in 2 years :P

I don't plan on doing any oil changes to it or anything since it's a lease. Like I said I just want it there in case I have something quick to move. I'm okay with paying the $80/month to license it and leave it in my drive way in case I need it, but that's about all I want to put in to it.
Your pretty much asking us something you have to decide and thats if its fine it sits in your driveway... all I can say is my truck has been great and I love it ...

nice name btw...good choice in a name thats against the owners of the brand this site is up for lol. :O
Hope your not an internet troll

My advice......get a Smart Fortwo!!!! OT guys!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by snipingdude; 05-06-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrysler

1. It's a dodge.

The question is, can this truck go 2 years without maintenance? I don't plan on doing any oil changes to it or anything since it's a lease. Like I said I just want it there in case I have something quick to move. I'm okay with paying the $80/month to license it and leave it in my drive way in case I need it, but that's about all I want to put in to it.
Well most people would realize posting on a Dodge enthusiast site with a name bashing Chrysler and listing problem #1 as "It's a dodge" isn't the best way to go about getting helpful responses...

Disregarding that if you look around this section and check out the 3rd gen Dakota FAQ section you'll be able to answer #3.

As far as 2 years without maintenance, if that's what you plan to do to it tell your dad to keep it. No vehicle is designed to go 2 years without maintenance nor should that be done to any vehicle. Even if you are not racking up the miles you should change the oil once or twice a year at the bare minimum. If you want it to be reliable when you have something quick to move you'll drive it once in awhile too, without proper preparation you should not just leave it sitting there for extended periods of time. Take it to work once a week, take it on a joyride, whatever. Remember, vehicles are made to be driven.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

You quit deleting my hateful comments emery! :P

Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
mikset
Professional

Is this guy for real?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i think u know what to do already do not take the truck and go back to being whatever u were before u almost had a dodge........

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 PM
01dodge
Rookie

I agree with BADass