3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Same Old Questions Asked Again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Mopar#9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Old Questions Asked Again.

I have a 07 Mits. Raider (Shoulda bought the real thing i know). I've tried pulling trailers and what not with it and it just sucks. I've been looking at performance parts online and I have a very limited selection to begin with but I think I have put together a decent list of things to buy. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with pointers or brands to stay away from or anything anyone has to say.

Was looking at the K&N 63 Series CAI, Jet Chips Stage 2 Programmer, B&M Supercooler Trans Cooler, Rancho struts and shocks, NGK Iridium Spark plugs, and a decent exhaust system (whatever my local shop recommends).

I would rather get a different programmer than Jet Chips but I havent been able to find one for the 3.7.

I am planning on towing 1 to 3 atv's (one weighing 800 or 900 lbs) and a dirt bike at a time. Also, if i think the truck will pull it safely (and stop safely) a small horse trailer. The horse trailer weighs 1500-1800lbs and it has inertia brakes on it and is a bumper pull. My wife only has one horse right now weighs around 1000 lbs. Tack and everything else shouldnt weigh more than 500 lbs.

Like i said before any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Mopar#9

Also was thinking about getting the Maxloader Helper springs. I think thats everything as of right now.

Again all insight is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
V8MANual
Captain

That's a lot of modifying investment just to get V8 power. Why don't you trade it in?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

No need to trade in for the loads you're pulling. But you might not have picked the ideal vehicle to do it right off the lot.

4:10's would be a big upgrade no doubt. 4:56's might be buzzy on the highway, but probably tolerable if you go with a quiet exhaust. It's going to suck gas like a V8 with a trailer anyway. I pulled about 2000# a long way and got about 13 MPG, cruising at 80 in 6th and roaring up hills in 4th or 3rd. But I was determined to drive SC to NY in a day

The 3.7L can get the job done. But it's not a 1100 RPM grunt machine like the old Magnum engines. You need deep gears to let the engine wind out, and turn those high RPM horses into torque at the wheels.

Last edited by cramerica; 05-06-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Mopar#9

I saw the post about changing the gears. Wasn't sure if i wanted to get that in depth or not. Also, thats about the only mod I can't do myself. Where would i be able to find the parts i need to do the change?

The reason i dont trade in is cuz i owe so freaking much on the truck that I will be paying out the a$$ for a new one. That and the truck i want is way expensive. Either want a Ram 2500 diesel or a Toyota Tundra.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are on the right road with a good list. The JET Chip isnt a programmer, its just a chip that will give ya some gains. But yeah other than adding gears to your list, you should be able to have a noticeable difference in pulling power when ya add all the goodies Good luck and let us know what ya do

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Once you determine which Chrysler Corporate axle you have (either 8.25 or 9.25), there are ring & pinion and master rebuild kits available from many places online.

The 9.25" has an octagonal housing and 12 bolts. The 8.25 is rounder and has fewer, I believe. Some V6 manuals (like mine) have the 9.25. Not sure about automatics.

Trading in on a Dakota, let alone a V6 Raider, would be pretty painful...dealers can't sell the ones they have...

Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no matter what you do to the truck, its gonna be a dud. no performance bolt on upgrade is going to get you decent power to pull the trailer. only option is a gear swap. when the 05 first came out. i had mine done 1600.00 for both axles. it may be alot cheaper now, seeing how the truck has been out for awhile. this is the best upgrade money can buy, until you start tearing into the motor, get a printout from the dealer to see what gears you have.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cramerica
Once you determine which Chrysler Corporate axle you have (either 8.25 or 9.25), there are ring & pinion and master rebuild kits available from many places online.

The 9.25" has an octagonal housing and 12 bolts. The 8.25 is rounder and has fewer, I believe. Some V6 manuals (like mine) have the 9.25. Not sure about automatics.

Trading in on a Dakota, let alone a V6 Raider, would be pretty painful...dealers can't sell the ones they have...
IDchry925.gif IDchry825.gif

Quick Reply: Same Old Questions Asked Again.