3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 v8 tranny filter change anybody do one

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
kzguns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 v8 tranny filter change anybody do one

Was wondering how big of a pain in th A$$ it is to drop the tranny pan and change out the filter on an 05, 4x4, v8, automatic, dakota. Dealer wants $189 but with work ect... I need to do this myself so if anybody has done this and has tips or whatever let me know. I'm highly mechanically inclinded so thats no issue just hate doing more work than i need to there always seems to be an easier way that i figure out after i'm done.

Thanks for any help, Ken

Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
boopadoopa
Professional
Default Tranny fluid

Other than it being messy as there is no oil plug, All you do is loosen all
the bolts and let it drain. Make sure you have a big pan and not afraid to get messy.
Once its empty remove all the bolts and then remove the 2 screws holding the filter.
remove and replace with new one. Scrape the gasket off and replace the pan torquing the
bolts to the rating listed in the book? If you need the torque specifications when i get home ill get them for you. Its a pretty easy job just messy. fill Tranny with amount of fluid
specified in your book.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
LB
Veteran

Yup,
What he said. On my 4x4 I had to remove the crossmember for clearance. You can get both filters cheap on bulkpart.com, so cheap I bought 2 sets. Also Transgo -HD2 shiftkits are cheap there to as long as you have the pan off and really easy to install as well.

Of the 2 filters, 1-spin-on 1-flat, on the flat make sure you get the correct one for 4x4, AND make sure to get the o-ring gasket for the tube. IT's not bad if you take your time, take out all of the bolta except 4 corners, then loosen a corner bolt and pry the pan away, let it drain then work it slowly so the drain is directed to the pan slowly unscrewing the bolts. (At least this works for me).

Figure on about 7 quarts if you don't remove the valve body for the shift kit, Walmart has Genuine Mopar ATF+4 for 4 something per quart.

If you are that far, and depending on how many miles are on the truck it is easy to finish flushing the rest of the fluid from the system. Find the output trans cooler like on the bottom of the radiator, pull the clip and direct it toward a bucket. start the engine, and as you drain multiple quarts out make sure to refill the pan. Takes about 16 Qts total.

HTH,

LB

Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLUID AND FILTER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL
1. Hoist and support vehicle on safety stands.
2. Place a large diameter shallow drain pan beneath the transmission pan.
3. Remove bolts holding front and sides of pan to transmission.
4. Loosen bolts holding rear of pan to transmission.
5. Slowly separate front of pan away from transmission allowing the fluid to drain into drain pan.
6. Hold up pan and remove remaining bolts holding pan to transmission.
7. While holding pan level, lower pan away from transmission.
8. Pour remaining fluid in pan into drain pan.
9. Remove the screw holding the primary oil filter (1) to valve body.
tf1.gif
10. Separate filter from valve body and oil pump and pour fluid in filter into drain pan.
11. Inspect the oil filter seal in the bottom of the oil pump. If the seal is not installed completely in the oil pump, or is otherwise damaged, then remove and discard the oil filter seal from the bottom of the oil pump. If the seal is installed correctly and is in good condition, it can be reused.
12. If replacing the cooler return filter (2), use Oil Filter Wrench 8321 to remove the filter from the transmission.
13. Dispose of used trans fluid and filter(s) properly.

INSPECTION
Inspect bottom of pan and magnet for excessive amounts of metal. A light coating of clutch material on the bottom of the pan does not indicate a problem unless accompanied by a slipping condition or shift lag. If fluid and pan are contaminated with excessive amounts of debris, refer to diagnosis.

CLEANING
1. Using a suitable solvent, clean pan and magnet.
2. Using a suitable gasket scraper, clean original sealing material from surface of transmission case and the transmission pan.

INSTALLATION

th2.gif
CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will result.

1. If necessary, install a new primary oil filter seal in the oil pump inlet bore. Seat the seal in the bore with a suitable tool (appropriately sized drift or socket, the butt end of a hammer, or other suitable tool).
2. Place replacement filter in position on valve body and into the oil pump.
3. Install screw to hold the primary oil filter (1) to valve body. Tighten screw to 4.5 Nm (40 inch lbs.) torque.
4. Install new cooler return filter (2) onto the transmission, if necessary. Torque the filter to 9.5 Nm (7 ft. lbs.) .
5. Place bead of Mopar RTV sealant onto the transmission case sealing surface.
6. Place pan in position on transmission.
7. Install bolts to hold pan to transmission. Tighten bolts to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and fill transmission with MOPAR (R) ATF +4.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
kzguns

Thanks guys I was wondering about the crossmember looks like itneeds to be removed.

I'm also reading there are 2 transmissions for the 2005 how do i id mine.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
LB
Veteran

Baracis, WOW, NICE!!!

The V8 only got 1, it's a 5-45RFE

LB

Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Hey LB, I can get any kind of diagram, or whatever really for the 05-06 daks, feel free to hit me up.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there are 2 filters in the tranny, make sure you replace both. also who did you get a price from. my dealer charges 99.99 for the tranny service, new filters, fluid and road test, i always let them do it. that way if it blows or starts to slip, they have the sevice record of it.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 AM
kzguns

Originally Posted by LB
Baracis, WOW, NICE!!!

The V8 only got 1, it's a 5-45RFE

LB
OK but i sware i read that the early 05 had a diff. tranny.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
baracis
Record Breaker

take a peek and find out

Quick Reply: 05 v8 tranny filter change anybody do one