3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
coondog05
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? even if its a gasket? because thats what it sounds like.....

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
dryice

Yes! Anything thats Smog or Emission related is covered. That includes throttlebodies. Check your warranty book or look up Emission warranty for your truck.

Last edited by dryice; 05-18-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8 years 80,000 miles is the federal emmision warrenty. So it could be covered? The only problem is the Flowmaster muffler. It will probably void the warrenty? I'll call the dealership tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 AM
reitman
Rookie

I was just looking on the epa website about the emissions warranty, and most everything is covered 2/24000, but only a few things are covered 8/80000. Cats, OBD and ECU are the 8 year ones.

Sucks, cause I need my gasket replaced.

I guess I will double check the warranty info in the car when I get up this afternoon.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
dryice

Originally Posted by mprohr
8 years 80,000 miles is the federal emmision warrenty. So it could be covered? The only problem is the Flowmaster muffler. It will probably void the warrenty? I'll call the dealership tomorrow.
That muffler has nothing to do with your exhaust manifold or the gasket. They must fix it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
dryice

Originally Posted by reitman
I was just looking on the epa website about the emissions warranty, and most everything is covered 2/24000, but only a few things are covered 8/80000. Cats, OBD and ECU are the 8 year ones.

Sucks, cause I need my gasket replaced.

I guess I will double check the warranty info in the car when I get up this afternoon.
Read carefully! The Exhaust manifolds are covered as well. Now Go Get Your Exhaust Leak Fixed, And Stop Ruining The air Quality........

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dryice
Read carefully! The Exhaust manifolds are covered as well. Now Go Get Your Exhaust Leak Fixed, And Stop Ruining The air Quality........
Hey. Who are you? I demand that you tell me. I am king of this here forum boy! But seriously, welcome to the forum. My bad if you made a "Hey I'm New, My Name Is Fred!!" post and I missed it.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think DryIce is mistaken. I have carefully read both the vehicle warrenty book, and the federal warrenty. Both are very clear that manifolds and gaskets are emmision control parts, only covered under the 2yr/24000 mile warrenty. The only things covered under the 8yr/80000 mile warrenty are Major Emmision Control Components. Directly from the Fed:

"What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)."

DryIce, can you give me a specific reason why I'm wrong?? Have you had it done? Is there an update to the warrenty? Are you an insider? I would love to have it fixed under warrenty, that's why I read it very carefully.
Thanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
reitman
Rookie

mprohr-

I read it the same as you, I just didn't want to get into one of those famous internet arguments with anyone over this.

Other than the Cats, ECU, and OBD, everything was 2/24.

I might still tackle it myself, but I am dreading a broken bolt. I think I will soak everything with PB Blaster for a day or two before messing with them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak