3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sub + Head Unit or Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
nola24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub + Head Unit or Exhaust System?

Hey everyone, I have a little more than $700 to spend on my truck. It's a 2005 SLT Crew Cab. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a Head Unit and Sub, or a Exhaust system. What would I get the most from? If you think audio, where would you put the sub? I've heard so many things, I'm confused. If you think exhaust, what brand? I want it to be louder and toned sounding firstly, then performance gains. Is it true that duals are louder?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the crew cab you might as well get big box and take the seats out. It's not like anyone but midgets and little kids can fit back there anyways. For $700 I would hit up pep boys and get that $280 flip up screen dvd player (i've owned it, it's great) and you could still get a decent system (even better if its used). If I had $700 I would get a CAI, superchip 3815, and flowmaster exhaust. You'd have to shop around, but it could definitely be done.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 AM
nola24
Professional

Ok, but what type of exhaust? I'm pretty clueless. Ive fit four people (comfortably) in my quad cab. When you say shop around, do you mean used?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Originally Posted by baracis
If you have the crew cab you might as well get big box and take the seats out. It's not like anyone but midgets and little kids can fit back there anyways. For $700 I would hit up pep boys and get that $280 flip up screen dvd player (i've owned it, it's great) and you could still get a decent system (even better if its used). If I had $700 I would get a CAI, superchip 3815, and flowmaster exhaust. You'd have to shop around, but it could definitely be done.
Gotta disagree there man. After owning 3 crew cabs (2 GenIIIs and 1 Gen II) there's plenty of room in the back of these trucks. I've hauled 4 ppl comfortably many times. And most of my friends aren't small either. Hell, I've slept in the back myself probably a dozen times or more. Although that does kinda' suck being 6' tall sleeping in a 5' wide truck. :/ lol

As far as nola's question, I'd opt for going the cheap route on exhaust (hack off the resos and put a $150 can in place of the stock one) and that would still leave $500+ toward doing a system.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

I've never fit an adult in the back seat comfortably.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Racinartist
All Star

You're starting to make me think my friends are small. And they're NOT. lol

Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

maybe its just me and my love for quality audio, but if i was settin up a system in my truck, i would do a lot of research on different brands of everything and figure out what i want to accomplish with my system. me personally, lol i couldnt do it for 700 bucks. id completely sound deaden my truck to start with, then i would look into a new h/u, then new speakers, and then a sub/amp combo which would be JL. ive been out of the audio game for a while, so i cant recommend anything for h/u or speakers, im sure there has been a lot of improvements in the past 3-4 years, but JL is always on top of their game and i would stick with them for a sub/amp combo. im rambling, im sorry

Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Check out digital design..depending on the series they are fairly inexpensive, and they pound like a mother ****er. Go big or go home. BTW as far as I know they still hold the world record at 180.5 decibels. The 9500 series can handle 6000 RMS and the magnet weighs 25.4 pounds.

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/551...ngle-subwoofer

152 decibels, human vibration is painful and also felt in the joints
162 db, NHRA dragster, 5000 - 7000 horsepower on liquid nitroglycerin fuel, humans find it hard to see and breathe
172 db, fog is created, depending on the temperature, dew point and humidity
175 db, 1 TON of TNT at 250 feet
182 db, 1 ton of tnt at 150 feet

yea, they're ****ing loud..

Last edited by baracis; 05-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Sub + Head Unit or Exhaust System?