3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Pan Rusting Away

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's got 39k or out of factory warranty. I have an extended warrant with a deductable. I still might argue the point that it’s a blatant defect. Who knows these days. If I had a lift I would replace it myself. I would like to find a carbon fiber or composite pan if there is such a thing.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldnt need a lift to replace it. If you need extra room use drive on ramps, or jack stands...

BUT

Dont do it yourself! Who cares if your out of warranty, you have to argue that an oil pan rotting away is a defect that they need to fix. Surely, if your dealer is honest at ALL, then they will know that doesnt happen to there other vehicles in a few short years.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

Even with a lift or even a vehicle lift you will have to lift the engine because of the differential and engine crossmember not leaving much room

Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM
gutterboy2ca

old thread for sure,but thought i would jump in on that too.Mine is an 08 Dakota SLT,bought with 30,000 km on it, now just rolled over 200,000.Oil pan is gone, looking for a replacement today, dealer said its a 5.4 hour job plus parts.
No reason for this to rust out that bad on a 5 year old vehicle

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn_IMAG0424.jpg (94.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy hell, that's crazy... where are you located? I live in the one of the salt belt states and mine is practically like new still, like I stated previously. I haven't washed it nearly like I used to but it still remains in good condition.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

People never like me when I say this, but if you wash your truck regularly (even in the winter), you will not typically have this problem. I am not saying every week, but at least once a month or more.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my truck 2 years (2005) and I only replaced my Transmission pan because I punched a hole in it on a ice snow bank last winter, didnt cost much to replace (OEM pan, Filter, Fluid, Gasket)

Mine had lasted 130,000km (80k miles) with HEAVY salting, and I mean HEAVY. It had surface rusted, but nothing that looked that bad.

Washing your truck helps, But not with the rust I got haha, My Box is toast from the inside out like the 2000 Dakota I had did.

I know for the 3.7L there is a aftermarket Pan that should fit. Only 1 i found other then OEM.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 AM
gutterboy2ca
Angry

I live in New Brunswick Canada, winters are high humidity,and as for your statement JasonW, i wash my truck twice a week,funny when i was at the dealer yesterday and showed them the pic of the pan, they joked and said maybe its because i wash my truck too often,lol.They Know me..
I also undercoat the truck every year,but the under carriage only gets washed with Rain,who has the ability to get under there truck every week.
5 Years old, still looks like new,not a spec of rust on it,other then the faulty oil pan...

Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gutterboy2ca
I live in New Brunswick Canada, winters are high humidity,and as for your statement JasonW, i wash my truck twice a week,funny when i was at the dealer yesterday and showed them the pic of the pan, they joked and said maybe its because i wash my truck too often,lol.They Know me..
I also undercoat the truck every year,but the under carriage only gets washed with Rain,who has the ability to get under there truck every week.
5 Years old, still looks like new,not a spec of rust on it,other then the faulty oil pan...
Im in Nova Scotia, was up in NB untill today working. My truck was undercoated at purchase, but i dont think they ever redid it before I bought it. I plan to get it done from now on. Only thing I can think of is if something damaged it causing it to rust faster then normal.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Rusting Away