3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Pan Rusting Away

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Rusting Away

Had an oil change and the mechanic called notice that my oil pan was rusting so bad I should keep an eye out for leaks. He pointed it out where the metal had bubbled and stating to scale away. You can see where the metal is very thin and could leak at anytime. This is insane. The truck is only three years old. I couldn't imagine keep it long term without it rusting away. I have been fighting support & frame rust after just after a year of owning it and now the oil pan? I don't even live on or near the ocean. I am staring to believe it when I here that Chrysler really skimped on parts quality and processes to save costs now that I see first hand at things prematurely rusting and the interior vinyl is so soft that a fingernail with cause permanent scuffs. I’m starting to think I should have walked away from Dodge after the 06 buy back.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somthing must be wrong. Maybe somthing went wrong in production??

My truck has been pretty good rust wise, and I hardly wash it, im in NY we get some bad salting here, and I think I might have washed the truck once last winter.

Have to get that oil pan replaced by dodge for free. I have never heard of such a thing before.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crazy. Mine better not do that crap.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Yikes...defintely sounds suspicious. My truck also made it through its first NY winter with little more than some surface rust on the front end components.

I've tapped my oil pan with a wrench before, and I was almost sure it was high-temp injection molded glass reinforced nylon. But apparently it's steel?

Definitely get it fixed before it blows out...you'll end up stranded, or worse, with engine damage.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

its steel

I havent had any rust problems luckily.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been through 4 Maine and NY winters, just changed the oil today there's some minor surface rust under there but overall the truck is pretty clean, oil pan has no rust on it at all. Something seems out of whack with yours, maybe it didn't get the rust protection applied properly when it was built?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Rust-free here... of course I wash mine more than anyone here...errr maybe

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
mprohr
All Star

I might give you a run on OCD washes Bolt...and still mine is rusting in all sorts of places...but not the oil pan. I keep a bottle of rust inhibitor around. It turns rust into a black "ceramic" like coating. Which is good because the truck is black. It stops the assault until I can go get it all done at the body shop.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Go to the dealership, I cant see why they wouldnt replace that for free. Just tell them whats going on, its totally out of the ordinary. I doubt they will give you any trouble, its an inexpensive job anyway.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM
mprohr
All Star

If it's under warrenty, and bubbling paint, it should be covered. If it's not under warrenty, you're screwed.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Rusting Away