3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Walmart ATF+4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered doing it myself but I've heard to fully flush the whole system you need a special setup. Also the front diff on our trucks seems to be an enormous pain to drop the pan with the crossmember in the way. I did my rear differential myself awhile back, that was pretty easy.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've read a couple horror stories on other sites about getting a flush, then shortly after trans goes out due to the trash that gets knocked loose. Any truth there?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what millage a tranny flush should be done?? And how much is the cost wilth filters and everything? I'm thinking about getting it done at the dealership!! What do you think??

Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaded
I've read a couple horror stories on other sites about getting a flush, then shortly after trans goes out due to the trash that gets knocked loose. Any truth there?
If they drop the pan to replace the filters like they should be that crap will be coming out. There shouldn't be enough trash in there to matter unless you already have some serious issues with your trans anyway.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front dif is not that bad, just takes time with limited clearance with the wrench. AND after cleaning everything up BEFORE putting gasket sealant on practice putting the cover back in place without touching the gasket surface, do this until you have it memorized, trust me!!!

I think the manual says every 30K for trans. Jaded, I have heard the same, but in all cases these were high mimeage trans with no service ever. I think if you are under 60-70K you will be fine. If you are worried just do pan and filters first.

I have also read that dependin on where the pressure flush is applied it can push residue back thorough the trans.This is why I an #1 doing it myself, and this method is just replacing the fluid, not "flushing".

LB

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
#1 doing it myself, and this method is just replacing the fluid, not "flushing".LB
Me too man. I only run Mobil One synthetic in my truck. I payed for it while on the road and stopped at a Wal-Mart. I watched them try to put the cheap synthetic in and I about had a cow. Good for you man, I'm a big DIYer also.

Quick Reply: Walmart ATF+4