3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
meandean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabin noise

I have an '07 dakota ST. There has always been a little noise (air entering at the window seals) when i reach top speeds at 80mph. Now the noise has increased in the last couple months. Is there a quick fix for this?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
ahicks
Rookie

Probably same problem here. Most noticable with a crosswind? Visably deformed (junk) window seals/crappy glass alignment job. I'm planning on replacing the seals and lining the glass up properly myself.

Seems like the most basic thing to me, but apparently the previous owner, the one that bought the truck new, was clueless....or never drove over 50mph?

05 Laramie CC

Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
meandean

crosswind definately increases the noise, its unbearable at times. my seals seem to be all in good shape. everytime i wash the truck i give 'em a nice once over with some armorall.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was going to solve this problem by putting a 1000w or so stereo system in, but no room for the subs. If that seal job works out, let me know.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by meandean
crosswind definately increases the noise, its unbearable at times. my seals seem to be all in good shape. everytime i wash the truck i give 'em a nice once over with some armorall.
Could be the door seals as well? Easily checked. Spray the area of the cab the seals normally run on with Armorall or WD-40. Close the door easily, but hard enough to fully latch, then open the door and look for liquid transfer on the seals.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
meandean

Originally Posted by Jaded
I was going to solve this problem by putting a 1000w or so stereo system in, but no room for the subs. If that seal job works out, let me know.
haha, i agree with you on that. the only space for a sub would be the compartment that contains the jack and tire iron.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your last car wasnt a nice quiet car was it?

I think the dakota is pretty quiet and refined in the nosie dept compared to other pickup trucks I have owned.

Maybe thats just me.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

I think the dakota is pretty quiet and refined in the nosie dept compared to other pickup trucks I have owned.

Maybe thats just me.
Coming from somebody with a well sealed truck? Noise is a subjective thing, understood. Speaking for myself, I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for obvious crappy glass/door alignment with todays engineering/production/marketing standards.

Mine is a nice truck, I wouldn't swap it for any of the other previous trucks (last 3 were also Dakotas), but it's got it's issues. The passenger door glass isn't even touching the window seal the entire length of the back side. I've been putting a piece of tape over it for longer rides.... FWIW

Last edited by ahicks; 07-13-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

My truck is pleasant enough in the cab as far as noises. Seems solid and more so the some so-called finer vehicles I have rented lately. True cross wind is a bit much when moving over 50mph. The new Ram sounds to have addressed this if you read about the door and window seals. Some high-end or BMWs use double layered glass with a sealed nitrogen barrier. Thought it may not seem so but cross wind noise isn’t made from an air leaking in but from the wind itself passing over surfaces like the side door mirrors and non smooth surfaces and you hear that through the then non barrier glass.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
meandean

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

Maybe thats just me.

well i preiviously owned a '92 tacoma, and that thing was a junker...so no.
before that i had a '98 ram and don't recall a problem with noise.

Quick Reply: cabin noise