3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2005 Replace front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
i have dimpled and slotted rotors... i was told by a few people not to go with ceramic because our trucks are heavy and ceramics generate more heat. i havent had a problem with dustng with these rotors, and i hve chrome wheels, so i would really notice it...
Slotted/dimpled/drilled rotors help REDUCE heat, which makes less sense to not use ceramics....

Ultimately, its a judgement call...

Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ok, go ahead and email the techs a stoptech and let them know...

i have less rotor than a solid roto, and they will warp easier than a solid rotor. obviously o didnt skimp when i did my brakes. new rotor, calipers, pads, ines and fluid... some very knowledgeable tech said to stay wy from ceramic since our trucks are as heavy as they are... ceramic pads would heat up and chew up hese rotors...

i did my homework.
I've put ceramics and drilled, slotted, or a combo of the two on all of the last 5 vehicles I've owned....2 of which were Dakotas....and 2 cars weighing almost 3800lbs each...

I've listened to people say you shouldnt use cross drilled rotors because they warp easily, yet you see them put on all kinds of high performance vehicles. The key to any rotor/brake swap is to make sure they are properly broken in.

However, I wouldnt suggest putting ceramic pads on a 4wd truck anyhow. I'd do it for a 2wd.

I just looked at StopTech's online catalog, and they dont even list the Dakota in their rotor section.... (catalog may not be accurate) but its the only one I can find on the site. It wouldnt let me find any rotors for the Dakota in a product search either. I'm curious where you got them from....and again too, this is a 3rd Gen Dakota we're talking about, which I do believe are even heavier then the 2nd gens were..

Last edited by DevilsReject; 07-17-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'd also like to add that my list was very generalized, designed to apply to multiple vehicles, not just a Dakota....

Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

i emailed them askng for reccomendations on pads with the rotors that i ordered. (since the place i ordered from said not to run ceramics with this heavy of a vehicle.) i talked with "jeff from stoptech" and he said that the information was "probably right" as any vehicle over 4000 pounds is going to generate an incredible amount of heat under heay braking. he also explained that dimpled and slotted rotors would "kick" brake dust away from the wheels, and that if all i was worried about was dusting, that i shouldnt be concerned. On a smaller car or lighter truck ceramics might be a good idea. they last a long time. but rotors that arent made for them get chewed up fast. the techs from brembo didnt respond, neither did the techs from hawk.
I used EBC rotors with Hawk Ceramics...for my last Dakota..

Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM
motodeficient
Professional

What do you guys think about the drilled/slotted rotor and pad kits on ebay? They are priced pretty good, but are they junk or not?

Like these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
dakkedup
Rookie

check out the EBC brake pads and the EBC drilled and slotted rotors, they're expensive but I've heard they're worth it. I wanted to get them because after 28,800 miles on my 07 Dakota my brakes were squeaking like crazy and I pulled off a front tire and the rotors were crap, they were completely rusted out, so the dealer replaced them for free and charged me for new brake pads and now I have a lifetime warranty on the brake pads. I should have just went with the EBC's tho because those are definitely worth it. the pads were only 35% worn, i think if my rotors go again which i know they will when 55k comes along, just assuming...then I'll switch to the EBC and say screw the lifetime warranty knowing the dealer they'll deny ever giving me the warranty...

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
motodeficient
Professional

Yeah I have been looking at those EBC rotors and pads as well, they look awesome

Quick Reply: 2005 Replace front brake pads