3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Monroe Shock Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe Shock Review

Well, now have had the new Monroe’s on the truck for four days and the difference is incredible from stock. I went out to go over some well known dips and bumps that the factory shocks just where almost dangerous on and I almost for got where these spots where with the new shocks. The control all around is 100% better. No more dipping and bouncing. The ride is just slightly harder but not harsh as you might expect. I’m very satisfied. Note the front shocks are clocked slightly different then the factory shocks where at the bottom spring plate stop. This drove the installer a bit nuts untill he figured that he needed to turn the top plate mount one turn to align the mounting plate and the bottom “U” mount to be aligned as a unit. But all is good. The rear shocks took the bounce out of the rear but added a bit if jitter over series bumps. Expected being stiffer. Again not harsh though. So that’s my review on the Monroe's.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, sound like they work well.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
DeskBound

I put the Monroes on my 05 last weekend. The rears took about a half hour—the fronts took about 4 more hours. The instructions in the service manual fall way short on detail and leave out a couple of important steps.

There is no mention of disconnecting either upper or lower ball joint but I don’t believe it is possible to get the strut/spring assembly out of the vehicle without releasing either the upper or lower balljoint. I chose the upper balljoint.

There is also no mention of disconnecting the tie rods, but that too is necessary.

And last, but not least, the requirement for spring compressers is omitted. Fortunately, I have some and we didn’t have to stop for a run to Harbor Freight.

It was a lot of work, but the difference in cost was $244 for the shocks delivered to my door versus a minimum quote of $750 by one of three shops I called to have them installed. Seems like I could do a little wrenching for 500 bucks.

But now they’re on and I can tell you they make a big difference in the vehicle. It only has 34k miles on it and that should be too soon to need shocks, but it evidently did. It isn’t as stiff as I thought it might be but the little jitters on bumps are gone and the front end rebound is reduced dramatically and the overall ride is much, much better.

I noticed that the shaft on the new front shocks were substantially larger diameter than the oem. Don’t know what that means inside the shock, but it has to be a good thing.

Bottom line: It was worth the money and the effort to replace the oem shocks this soon. And with the money I saved, I can spend a weekend riding my ATV.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad they are working out well for you.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Yes! I have Monroes and I love them bro, the ride is ever so better!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Note: the TRX-4 like mine you loose that small lift in the rear with the new rear shocks installed. The factory shock is about an inch longer extended out. The truck sits perfectly level now but that is not what I expected. I have a call into Strutmasters and the are contacting Monroe on this. I might trade these in on Gabriel High Jackers for the rear. I do love the new ride since the factory door pistons are gone lol

Quick Reply: Monroe Shock Review