3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

size of speakers for doors.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Vortechtral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default size of speakers for doors.

Hey was looking on the DIY section but nothing was ever stated on the size of the actual speaker needed. Im on a website www.crutchfield.com and they have an good number of speakers. They list that will fit for the 08 Dakota 5 1/4 and 6 1/2. However im using a tapemeasure to measure my stocks, and none of these numbers are adding up. So I need a number please

Ive taken off my stock speaker, and it looks the exact same as the one 94rt10ohio did on his truck. I also read on a previous post from Ericmery that he just pulled out his old speaker and put in his new one. Now im thinking it the plastic ring around the stock speaker tht Eric is talking about. If thats the case, im wiggling my stock one around me stock speaker, and there is zero movement. Do I need to cut something to get it off? Or would the easiest and best course of action be the same as 94rt, and make a few metal brackets and just bend/fit them to the stock larger ring?

Heres the two posted im reffering too:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-speakers.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...a3rdGEN+123abc

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll want to use 6.5" speakers, thanks for pointing out it wasn't on my DIY, I've updated it. You can get an adapter ring that lets you install your own without making the brackets like I did, I wanted them in and didn't feel like spending time trying to track some down. I've had the speakers in 2 years now including through a rollover and no problems with the brackets, for the hour it took me to make them I'm quite satisfied. Just be sure to round off the corners and make sure there are no sharp edges up against the speaker surrounds.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '06 Quad Cab actually lists 6 3/4" speakers front and back. If you have a Club Cab it may be different in the back (you said 5 1/4" ?). Just buy speakers like the Polk DB series that come with the adapter ring included and they drop right in. Here is a photo that should help you. Please note I have sprayed truck bedliner on the doors...and in the doors to reduce the ring. Just in case you're wondering.

0512092348.jpg

Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mprohr
My '06 Quad Cab actually lists 6 3/4" speakers front and back. If you have a Club Cab it may be different in the back (you said 5 1/4" ?). Just buy speakers like the Polk DB series that come with the adapter ring included and they drop right in. Here is a photo that should help you. Please note I have sprayed truck bedliner on the doors...and in the doors to reduce the ring. Just in case you're wondering.

Same size front and back in the club cabs, I'm running db650's all around. I suppose 6 3/4 would fit in there as well though I didn't think Polk made db two ways in 6 3/4? I wouldn't go down to 5 1/4 unless I had absolutely no choice.

Last edited by Altair; 07-25-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tweeter has the adapter rings you will need for the frt speakers, i went and purchased them instead of making a bracket

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
mprohr
All Star

Eric, are you talking about the tweeter pod? You may not be. I wish mine were held on by tape. I had the Factory Alpine tweeters up by the A-pillar. The main body clipped into a 1.25" hole in the door, but the top was actually welded in the door with melted plastic plugs. I had to cut the plugs out with the tip of a soldering iron. I then filled the holes with some 44MAG air stem caps I found at Auto Zone. I used a piece of 1/4" plastic as a backing plate for the tweeter mount that covered the big hole perfectly. Like it or not, it looks clean.....and there are about a dozen different options at Autozone instead of the 44MAGs...just look around and get creative.

tweeters.jpg

0513092220.jpg

0519091213.jpg

Old 07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
mprohr
All Star

Sorry, I may be getting off topic as most people probably don't have these tweeters anyway. But it's good to know.

To be fair, the factory Alpine tweeters are 1" silk domes, and look to be a quality tweeter. They do have a capacitor mounted next to the input plug that measures 1ohm. They are 5.2 ohms after the capacitor. You probably want to bypass that capacitor if using another crossover, passive or electronic. Otherwise it will mess everything up. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to put an aftermarket amp on them.....still working on the full write-up.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Vortechtral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my speaker out to inspect it, I saw no double sided tape sadly. I was pushing to see if there would be any give but no luck. Maybe some day ill take another gander at it, and see if I missed something. If at all, ill get a real sharp knife an cut as close in between the ring and the speaker to seperate it some.

Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Quick Reply: size of speakers for doors.