3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh...and also what weight oil should I be using in this heat? I am not a synthetic guy so just the regular stuff will have to do. What do you guys use in the heat of AZ!?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go light wt. Right now I am running 5w-20, its what it called for on the cap even

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, 5-W20. I would at least do a synthetic blend, especially with towing. An extra $10 offers some big protection. I am a big believer in synthetic. My last oil change was about $100.....Amsoil. Maybe I'm a chump, but this truck will be in my life,,,ohhhh,,,forever. I think it helps keep you engine (slightly) cooler too. That said, make sure you keep your coolant fresh.

As for recommended parts, I think the e-fans are usually sold as universal models that fit with mild modification. You just need a little custom fab skill, and some b@lls. Pay attention to the controllers.

Do your research, PM Eric and some of the other E-fan guys on the site and bite the bullit. I'm in the same boat as you. Daily driver and need reliability, but the main reasons it's not done are my 3 kids under 5. Otherwise it is a top priority. In reality, it looks like a pretty straight forward job.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

If your willing to spend the money, I installed a Flexalite 18in. The thermo is built into the fan unit so the wiring is super easy. everything is labeled. mounting hardware is included to. I bought my fan at nappa for 245 bucks. Ordered it in the moring, got it in the afternoon. I dont tow much but i wanted it because it relieves the stress on the whole belt system. water pump, alternator, ac, etc. When you get one compare the wieght to the clutch fan. its heavy...

Originally Posted by popsnbeer
Well then I definitely want this electric fan. I saw a writeup on a ford taurus fan on here, but I don't feel confident enough in my skills to do something like that (daily driver and cannot afford to have down time). Is there a kit or shops that do this sort of thing? What $$ am I looking at here?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mprohr
Yeah, 5-W20. I would at least do a synthetic blend, especially with towing. An extra $10 offers some big protection. I am a big believer in synthetic. My last oil change was about $100.....Amsoil. Maybe I'm a chump, but this truck will be in my life,,,ohhhh,,,forever. I think it helps keep you engine (slightly) cooler too. That said, make sure you keep your coolant fresh.

As for recommended parts, I think the e-fans are usually sold as universal models that fit with mild modification. You just need a little custom fab skill, and some b@lls. Pay attention to the controllers.

Do your research, PM Eric and some of the other E-fan guys on the site and bite the bullit. I'm in the same boat as you. Daily driver and need reliability, but the main reasons it's not done are my 3 kids under 5. Otherwise it is a top priority. In reality, it looks like a pretty straight forward job.
I'm a big believer in synthetic too, 7k miles, hard driving (I'm not easy on the gas pedal), then a rollover. This was followed by 3 months sitting in the shop then roughly 1,500k more miles before changing the oil. An analysis by Blackstone Labs reported the oil was good and I should run it longer then test again. This was with Amsoil, now it's all I use, currently running it in the engine, front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission.

An E-fan should help a lot too as everyone who has done it has reported both mileage and power gains.

Mprohr, I think you're paying too much for your Amsoil, even Series 2000 0w-30 doesn't cost that much for one change plus a good filter. I run Amsoil 5w-30 XL with Napa Gold (Wix) filters and I think it cost me around 65 for my last change plus 4 quarts left over.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
keachers
Professional

i had an issue with my truck getting really hot on trips, it was even worse with the AC on. I did a coolant flush, changed my oil to full synthetic, redid my front and rear diffs with the recommended oil from dodge, and it still overheated on my 2,400 mile trip from upstate ny to el paso tx. i dunno whats wrong but its definatly something that i dont like

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is up with your cooling system. I towed a 6x12 Uhaul loaded probably close to 6,000 pounds from Albany to NJ, lots of traffic on the way too and it was 85 degrees. Temp never got above the halfway mark.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 PM
keachers
Professional

yeah well hopefully sometime this week i can get it fixed. i did notice that i was only towing 2500 lbs and the truck felt very weak, it had no power, no pick up whatsoever. I thought these trucks had power, i couldnt imagine how sh!tty it would have done if i had towed around max weight.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

ya...i just did a test run w/ about 5,000lbs and the truck would get about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge before the clutch fan would engage!!!!!

I had plenty of power I felt, but the truck should not run that hot. If it keeps doing that I know I am going to have issues with things breaking in the future. Looks like a new T-stat is in order in the coming weeks!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keachers
yeah well hopefully sometime this week i can get it fixed. i did notice that i was only towing 2500 lbs and the truck felt very weak, it had no power, no pick up whatsoever. I thought these trucks had power, i couldnt imagine how sh!tty it would have done if i had towed around max weight.
Man this is odd... I have hauled about 3000 lbs up and down hills from my parents to my house which is about 3 hrs and I have never seen my temp go above half, or a lack of power or pick up. Hell, I even picked up a 6x12 Trailer Trailer.jpg
because I thought it towed awesome. I wonder if the AWD is stealing power from ya?

BTW Keacher, I just realized you are from my old hometown area. I grew up in Millerton, PA just south of Elmira,Ny but I hung out in Elmira on and off. Quite a small world...

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 08-31-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing in the heat