3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need help, 2" above strut lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help, 2" above strut lift

Hey guys. I have no idea how I got this thing in last time but I cannot get the strut to seat properly with the new above strut spacer attached. I can get it above 1" away from where the strut connects to the lower strut bolt but cannot get it to line up.

Any tips/tricks to help with this?

The sway bar is already disconnected on both sides of the truck too. It just feels like I need to compress the spring about an inch or two to get it to seat on there, but obviously I am not strong enough to do that.

Thanks for whatever help you guys have

Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me also.

Do this:

slide the strut up into the upper mount, and thread the bolt closest to you, part of the way, to hold the strut there, and allow you to manuver it a bit. Make sure you removed the tie rods and they are no longer connected to the lower control arm.

When i ran into this problem I needed the lower control arm to go DOWN a bit further for it to line up correctly, so after everything was disconnected from it, i stepped on it, and under my weight it finally broke free and swung down a bit more. After that it is a matter of having one man bow the strut inward as much as he can to line up with the lower mount, and then sliding that mounting bolt back in. There is really no way to get that bottom mount to line up unless you press the bottom of the strut INWARD and bow it slightly with force. After thats done, go ahead and finish threading that upper bolt, then add the other two and lock it all down.

Once your ready to re-connect the upper control arms ball joint to the knuckle, your going to have to use a jack to raise that lower control arm up as much as you can, and then take a pre-bar and pry that upper control arm down until it hits the coil spring, then you should be able to get the nuts started.

Its amazing how much a 1.5" spacer throws everything off isnt it! good luck!

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 08-16-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Not one of my fondest memories, been here too. I used a pry bar inserted above the strut so when I pushed down, the strut was pushed down and inward into the pocket. Little bit of patience required.... but hopefully after a couple of tries you'll have it figured out and it'll snap right in like mine did.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

lets just say brute force became my friend yesterday!!! I wish I had read your post MW before manhandling the thing with a friend.

we were able to get the strut in, just took two of us to pry it into place while the other one pushed the bolt through. The second side went far better!

however...

connecting the upper control arm back to the spindle proved to be ridiculous! instead of being smart like you MW, we devised a pully system w/ two of us so that we could pull the upper and lower arms together just enough to start threading the spindle! Nonetheless, we did get it complete and I gained 2.25 inches out of the new strut and spacer (I put in the rancho rs5757's). They ride a ton better. The truck is at the alignment shop getting nice and straight in the front. once it's back, I am doing the rear 1" blocks as I need the truck to have a slight rake for my trailer.

Quick Reply: Need help, 2" above strut lift