3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Installed Hood antenna mount bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB02LHS
THIS LOOKS KILLER!

CFE PRODUCTS

That's what i'm talking about!!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM
mxdakota47
Rookie

ok i got a couple questions. first where did you get the front hood clip, do you have to drill any holes, and is the cb going to mess up the paint. Second im thinking im goin to mount my cb intenna on my rear bumper, is there any problem with that?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM
hav1979
Default what site did you get that bracket for the hood from?

what site did you get that bracket for the hood from

Old 08-23-2009, 03:50 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the bracket at a local dealer $15, Any dealer that sells CB's or two way radio (Communications dealer) should be able to get them for you, find your local dealer!

(Not sure were you would get one online at)

Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

the bracket bolts to the engine compartment edge, (there a few bolts there on each side) and is custom bent to fit the truck perfect, between the hood and the fender piece, dosen't touch the paint other that under the hood where you bolt it to.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can almost see the thing becoming an annoying occurance under braking and accelerating. It might look like a scorpian striking the car under severe braking...hehe.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

That depends on the length of the antenna I go with I guess, might jump around a bit with a longer one.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
That's what i'm talking about!!!!!
So for the one that mounts on the box behind the cab,
Does that thing have any flex to it, or if you drive into an under ground parking lot is it going to rip off the truck and wreck stuff?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 AM
andix

sorry to drop in.
I subscribed to the forum especially to answer this thread. (I just got my '05 Dak Tuesday, so I'm gonna lurk around a bit.)

for an antenna to work at its best efficiency, it has to be installed on what one calls "mass plan" - usually in the middle of a flat surface (in our case the center of the roof would be perfect.)

emissions and reception go around what is called a "lobe" - basically a ******* sphere that "forms" around an antenna. with the rod mounted on the side of the hood, the "lobe" will form only right-wise, leaving the left side decompensated. for signals coming from that direction, the reception would be really poor and likewise, emitting would be fainter towards the left side of the vehicle.

the closest "correct" installation would be the one from CPE products, where the antenna is somewhat in the middle of the vehicle. however, the "mass plan" will still be asymmetric, as the passenger cabin is upper than the mounting level thus diminishing the "lobe" towards the front of the vehicle.

I hope I make sense. if you really want to have a performant antenna, go for the mag mount and forget the clamps. just slam the magnet in the very center of the roof and you'll have an almost perfect "mass plan".

or better, ask any ham radio operator. he'll confirm this.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain

↑↑↑

I totally agree with you, to get the best performance the roof is the best place for the antenna. This is where my Cell phone booster antenna sits, its not to big and is easy to move out of he way, and since I have roof racks, putting any thing up in the area would get in the way of the items I carry eg: Ramps for atv, Kayaks, etc.which is why I got the hood mounts.

That is some good info. Thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply: Installed Hood antenna mount bracket