3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Zex Dry Nitrous Kit

Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was gonna run a wet kit and was talked out of it by our plastic intakes.. the only some what safe is the wet kit.. just get the conversion.. much better idea...

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ericemery
the problem with the dry kits is how they enrich the fuel. they "trick" the computer into umping more gas by lowering the intake air temperature. this works great on mass air flow setups like gm and ford. our trucks are speed density set ups, not mass airflow. a colder intake charge dumps gas, but also increases timing. this isnt so great for a nitro setup. notice how that zex manual says not to use aftermarket chips that advance timing? thats to decreas the chances of detonation. when that happeneds, your plastic intake will make this cool popping sound and will probably be accompanied by a small fire ball and oil. detonation occurs when you go too lean. wet kit dumps the proper amount of additioal fuel to compensate for the added nitrous.

i am ot trying to talk you out of running nitous. i am going to be also. but my kit will be a wet kit.
Do you happen to know where I could find a detailed read on this Eric? I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just want to read up as much as I can. I won't do a dry to wet swap, it'd probably be easier to either trade with someone or sell this one and buy a wet kit.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Straight from Zex:

RPM OUTLET is proud to announce ANOTHER FIRST for the 2003 and newer Hemi-powered Dodge truck enthusiasts.

The 03 and newer 4.7l, 5.2L, 5.9L -powered Dodge truck has creating unprecedented excitement among all truck enthusiasts. As a result, interest in safe performance enhancements, such as nitrous, is surging. However, many 4.7l, 5.2L, 5.9L powered truck owners will be surprised to learn that standard EFI nitrous kits are NOT designed and are NOT compatible due to the 4.7l, 5.2L, 5.9L computer and fuel system redesign by Dodge.

ZEX™ is at the forefront of nitrous technology by developing an innovative wet nitrous system specifically for the 03 and newer 4.7l, 5.2L, 5.9L -powered Dodge truck. In addition to the 03 and newer 4.7l, 5.2L, 5.9L -powered Dodge truck-specific components, the new ZEX™ nitrous system incorporates the most technically advanced performance features available, including the patented ZEX™ “Active Fuel Control”. This innovative performance and safety feature automatically adjusts the enrichment fuel; you’re never too rich, never too lean. The ZEX™ system also features a patented electronic TPS switch for perfect system activation at wide-open throttle. Power settings are fully adjustable from 75-125 horsepower with the included tuning jets.

Installation of this kit is quite simple includes all of the special parts needed and should take no more than 2 hours to complete.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

It's also recommended with a dry kit to upgrade injectors and fuel pump. Blah..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

we are speed density and not mass airflow.
Density is mass per unit volume.

Mass is quantity.

I'm not seeing how it's much of a difference. Can anyone elaborate?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Here is how car craft explains it.

the link is here...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html
Awesome! thanks bro

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

This is from AirRam:

There is a RIGHT WAY and a WRONG WAY... done correctly the 4.7L can handle a fair share of Nitrous. BUT you must understand that the weakest link on the 4.7L is the piston tops... so go too lean once and KABOOM!

I highly suggest you run a Wide Band Air Fuel Ratio Gauge and monitor your engines AFR at WOT... and make sure you keep it at 10.5:1 AFR to stay on the safe side. If you can do this then you will NOT have any issues.

I know of a 4.7L who has been running 100+ shots for quite a while now without any issues..> I feel he is on the edge but so far so good.

The real problem is NOT the plastic intake or even "POOLING" as some seem to think... People have come up with this theory after looking at the end result after seeing the intake in bits and pieces. The ROUTE cause of these explosions is the piston tops. Your top ring is less then 1/8 from the piston top. This means when you go LEAN (SUPER HOT) the piston top transfers much of that heat to your top ring. Your top ring expands from the heat and locks up with the cylinder... When then happens the piston tops can brake off or worse the cylinders can freeze and ANY intake valves that are OPEN with LOTS of Nitrous/fuel ignite and explode out through the intake valve... This is what causes the plastic Intake to explode into bits and pieces.

So in a nut shell, be aware of the limitations... and run nitrous accordingly. You can NOT afford to run LEAN... Make sure you run the AFR in the 10's and you should be able to run 100 shot all day long.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zex Dry Nitrous Kit