3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2-4 drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't tell you how good it looks man. I'm doing mine this Saturday. Some of the SOVA guys are going to help out. Maily jaysHEMI, he is a suspension guru. If the adjustable front coils don't fit, we are going to trim my coils. I don't want to cut them, but one way or another its comming down.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
bain64
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown287
Can't tell you how good it looks man. I'm doing mine this Saturday. Some of the SOVA guys are going to help out. Maily jaysHEMI, he is a suspension guru. If the adjustable front coils don't fit, we are going to trim my coils. I don't want to cut them, but one way or another its comming down.

I am looking forward to those pics!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
blakdak07
Veteran

Agreed.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
scottscan
Professional

Originally Posted by bigdodgeguy
Hi Scotscan,

Can you please advise what the upgraded front sway bar bushings and the upgraded rear sway bar are??? I'm having some issues and thinking about replacing the f/r bushing (specifically the sway bar link bushings)... Is there some "upgrade" rear sway bar available?

Thanks!

upgraded front sway bar bushings,and rear sway bar it it holds a curve very well for a truck.

BDG
sorry,i ment that i up graded the front sway bar bushings and end link bushings with some universal energy suspension polyurethane bushing i got from auto zone. the end link bushing have to be drilled out just alittle bit.i own a fab and machine shop, drilled mine out with a lathe, i think it would be hard to drill out with a hand drill,but you could try. if you find a friendly machine shop shouldn't cost more than $10.00 to do all four. no upgrade on the sway bars themselves,i ment my truck has a rear sway bar. i know some didn't come with them. hope this helps
here's a pic of end link bushinng package,none of sway bar bushings.

bushings.jpg

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
scottscan
Professional

Originally Posted by Blown287
thanks Blown, hope everything works out, i talked to Air bagit about some adjustable height struts with ajustable damper, but they wanted like $600.00 . WOW !!! cutting the tops of the coil springs are not that bad, your just cutting the flat part out , it's not going to mess up the factory spring rate . i just cut 1 1/3 rounds out,and it gave me the almost 2" lowering i wanted. i know it's the redneck way to do it, but it works pretty well and only cost me about $150.00 to do outside of the rear air bags (for heavy loads). the guy that lined it back up said i couldn't go any lower and get it pulled back into spec. as for the rear, i frist put on the lowering shackles, then we made some shackle extensions. got the top of the leaf spring about a 1/4" from the bottom of the bed, but it only made the truck 1/2" lower. so took them off and pulled the second from the bottom leaf out. this lowered it 1 1/2" + when we clamped the load leaf down with the others. hope this helps yall this weekend. i have alot of time in this because it was alot of work to get it were i wanted it.

here's what came off.

GetAttachment.jpg

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

That truck looks awesome, Scott!!!!
Nice job!!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
mikset
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, what part number slam air kit did you get and how was the install?
I have 4" rear drop shackles on my 05 and it def needs some support when I haul anything fairly heavy.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
scottscan
Professional

Originally Posted by mikset
Scott, what part number slam air kit did you get and how was the install?
I have 4" rear drop shackles on my 05 and it def needs some support when I haul anything fairly heavy.
used the Air lift slam air kit # 59209 from summit racing . here's the link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59209/

mounted mine dead over the axle on top of the u bolt spring plate. you will have to get longer bolts to go through our boxed frame. it's a pretty good job. here's some pics.

air1.jpg

air2.jpg

air3.jpg

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 PM
mikset
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thanks. Actually I meant 2" rear drop shackles. I wonder if a slam air kit would be necessary for that much drop or if I could just use standard air bags like the Firestones.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2-4 drop