3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Headunit and Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM
lauryn33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit and Stereo Advice

Im looking into upgrading from my factory stereo system to something new. I dont want to go to overboard as far as price, but I def dont want to go walmart cheap.

As far as headunits in past vehicles I have had pioneer and jvc. So these brands are what I was looking into. Anyone have any advice as to the best headunit even if another brand? Im looking to keep price under 250.

Second would be I want to upgrade my speakers. I want something that is going to sound better than factory. I play everything from country to rap to metal. I dont want to get into components. So far im in a toss up between Infinity and Polk.

Also does anyone kno what size sub enclosure can i fit behind my rear seat (i have quad cab). I know I will lose the fold up, not really worried bout that.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

Goto www.crutchfield.com and check out the kenwood headunits, jvc and pioneer is all walmart brands... kenwood excelon is a good bang for your buck head unit.

They make shallowmounts subs that are thin, idk how much space is under your seats but crutchfield has a fitment guide of what you can fit for your truck.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 PM
rgraider

I went with this...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP...oneer+hd&ssi=0

Comes with the HD Radio tuner as well. Best bang for your buck.

That includes everything you need. Including the faceplate adapter here http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142CR12...eiver-Kit.html

The main dif between a good quality deck like this and a walmart deck is the pre outs. Usually walmart decks only have 1 preout where as this pioneer as 3 sets. Front Rear Sub. This is important if you want to install an amp later on. Which i would recommend doing with of course new speakers.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I am a big fan of Pioneer and their double-din head units. They are definitely loaded with features for the price. However, Kenwood produces a much higher quality sound provided the rest of your system has the chops for it.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I would suggest something that had some sort of bluetooth phone function. I have the Uconnect in my truck and love it.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the standard 4 speaker system? Don't those have the stock amp in the passenger kick panel? If so, you will want to look into an amplifier bypass harness.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
lauryn33

thats for all the opinions guys.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ericemery
they sell kenwoods at walmart also...

I would look for a decent Alpine or Clarion, you can find a good head unit in your price range.

For speakers, I would go with either Polk DB series coaxials or some alpine type S coaxials. you wont HAVE to amp them to sound decent. if you do decide to run a 4 channel amp, they will sound great and not require a ton of power.

For a sub, there are quite a few threads on that part of it, and its really up to you on that one.

I am running an Alpine type S 10 with 300 watts going to it. I made my own box from MDF and fiberglass...

It may say kenwood on it but it really isnt, but when you send me a link to a kenwood excelon head unit from wal mart ill believe it ;]

Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

My friend has the pioneer touch screen head unit, stores a lot of music on it he just rips them off the cd onto the headunit and it stores it, i don't know which model but i do know it is pretty neat.

Quick Reply: Headunit and Stereo Advice