3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic drive train fluids.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic drive train fluids.

Thinking of going the syn'. fluids for my truck. So I have a question, (probably dumb) but I don't know. I would like to save some time and money in the process, (Don't we all). OK, will I harm anything if I only change the fluid in the rear end, front end and the transfer case and NOT the tranny for now? Also, is it wise to use one of them suction pumps? I can do the listed stuff now but have to wait on the tranny for a little while. Local mech'. will do the tranny. Had to buy a new fridge today so the money is tight for 3-4 weeks. I already use Pennzoil Syn.' in the engine. What's your preference for syn'. drive line fluids? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic gear fluid. 75W-140.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...75W-140LS.aspx

Old 09-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

newmexicodak,

I would suggest doing it the old fashion way and remove the covers. The front one is a PITA to get back on so do a couple of dry fits just so you can see how it goes on.

The reason I would suggest complete removal is that I like to spray the gears down with Brake Clean to remove all particles that may be floating around. Then just coat each side of the cover with RTV and bolt her up.

Quick Reply: Synthetic drive train fluids.