3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

possibly rack issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:31 AM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly rack issue?

Ok, so now this issue has happened to me twice while on some washboard roads. I thought I would share and hopefully get some insight.

After hitting a washboard road and having the truck get some major hopping going on I will hit the regular road again and notice that I can't hardly steer. It is almost impossible to turn right or left (like something is wedged in place). Once I make a full right or left turn (good arm workout and almost feels like i am going to snap the steering wheel) the steering comes back just as before. Steers like normal again.

Any ideas what is going on here? This has happened both before and after my leveling kit and new struts (though I know it shouldn't be related). I would hate to be off road quite a few miles from my house and not be able to steer back home.

Thanks guys. You always provide such good insight.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 AM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh...and i think i'm pulling the front tires off tomorrow to tighten up the leveling kit (its been about 2000 miles since I put it on) since I haven't done that yet. Anything I could visually inspect to see what's wrong?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:29 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From the service manual-
Hard Turning or Momentary Increase in Turning Effort:
1) Tire pressure. / Adjust tire pressure
2) Low fluid level. / Fill to proper level
3) Loose belt. / Adjust or replace
4) Low pump pressure. / Pressure test and repair as necessary
5) Internal gear leak. / Replace gear

And remember, Chrysler recommends only ATF+4 (transmission fluid, NOT power steering fluid) for the steering system in your truck.

While you have the front tires off, I'd check the steering linkage, as well as suspension, for any thing that appears wrong.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

x2

i hit mud alot and the belt skips and i dont get steering until it dries. so if your on dry roads than its unlikely that your belt is slipping. i would double check your fluids. doubt its anything hardware or else it would do it full time. pull the boots back on the rack and cycle your suspension to see if the tie rods bind.

you can eliminate most issues based on the fact that you said it only happens after crazy roads. things like tire pressure, pump pressure, and fluid level would cause full time act up....i think

Quick Reply: possibly rack issue?