3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

First truck, 2005 dodge dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
utahdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First truck, 2005 dodge dakota

I recently purchased my first truck, and first dodge. Its a 2005 dodge dakota V6, and so far, i love it. Since you all obviously have alot more experince with it then i do i was hoping to have help with a couple questions i had.

First i was wondering what from your experiences what are some modifications that should be made to generally improve its driving?

Second what are some modifications i can do to improve its mpg?

Third i have a slight crack in the factory grill frame and was wondering where i can get a factory replacement, or how i can get a more custom looking one, so it'll stand out a bit. Something kinda like "frenchy's" which i've come to love.

And finally i was wondering about any cosmetic, or other changes you guys would recommend.

Thanks so much i look forward to hearing from you guys

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front leveling kit with 2" blocks in the rear. Not much out there for the V6 in terms of performance from what I've gathered. Might also want to consider changing gearing if you plan on bigger tires with the 6-banger.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

I would say best buy from what i have been told on the forum is new shocks for driving get the monroes or the ranchos

For the mpg's try getting a CAI and exhaust

For the grill you can get some off ebay and i am pretty sure frenchy just painted his i am sure he will let you know but i am pretty sure he painted it

Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Southbound
Rookie

Just purchased an 05 Dakota as my first vehicle too, so hopefully both of us have done well. I don't plan on modding mine though. I did however replace a blown speaker myself with the help of a friend and it was tough but challenging and a good experience.

I too was worried about the mpg but there doesn't seem to be a ton you can do other than drive sensibly.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
utahdakota
Professional

Thanks so much for youre guy's help, i'm already looking into larger tires, new shocks, a cai, and a lift and leveling kit.

As for a lift and leveling kit does this look alright http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...080&perfCode=S

Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Originally Posted by utahdakota
First i was wondering what from your experiences what are some modifications that should be made to generally improve its driving?

Second what are some modifications i can do to improve its mpg?
For driving, replace the crappy OEM shocks/struts...I went with Monroe (I don't do any *real* off-roading and see no need to spend that much money), and I also slapped on some LT 265/75 16 on there as well...it rides more like a truck is supposed to now.

CAI and exhaust will help with MPG, but putting larger (and heavier) tires will probably erase any benefit...go easy on the throttle is your best bet...

FWIW...YMMV...

Last edited by Dak_in_Black; 10-29-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Q-TIP
Professional

Originally Posted by utahdakota
Thanks so much for youre guy's help, i'm already looking into larger tires, new shocks, a cai, and a lift and leveling kit.

As for a lift and leveling kit does this look alright http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...080&perfCode=S
The Truxxx kit is decent from what I've heard and seen but that price is high. I paid $80 Canadian for my Trailmaster kit ($73 USD) and it really isn't THAT big a deal to disassemble the strut. Took me about 20 minutes per side.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
utahdakota
Professional

I'm definately going to replace those stock shocks asap, if you guys could help me find a set thats the best bang for my buck i'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not too car savy so i'm tryin my best
Whats also the best place to get a lift, and a leveling kit for the best price. Preferably something that wont be overly difficult to install

Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Hmmm, yup, definitely painted mine myself.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

[QUOTE=utahdakota;1856984]I'm definately going to replace those stock shocks asap, if you guys could help me find a set thats the best bang for my buck i'd greatly appreciate it. [QUOTE]

Cheapest price for the Monroe replacements was from RockAuto.com:

Strut (71100) $73.79
Shock (911277) $40.79

Quick Reply: First truck, 2005 dodge dakota