3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Firestone Winterforce snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh for sure, driving the tires on bone-dry roads under 10*C is totally fine. I do it all the time. Where I cringe is when I see winter tires on cars during the summer. The poster that I was responding to was asking how the tires would last AFTER the winter was over. To me this translates into year-round use.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to use studded tires in winter while I lived in upstate NY. Great if your in a rural area that rarely sees a plow/sander go through, but if you're in a place that gets plowed fairly quickly and often, you're gonna hate the studs on pavement.

If'n it were me, I'd keep my regular tires on (unless you got fancy wheels and want a set of summer/winter meats) & put a couple bags of sand in the bed (the weight is great, plus if you get stuck you can split open a bag and use the sand for traction).

A set of chains is never a bad idea either. Better traction than studs and can be put on and removed in about 2 mins per tire. Some of the newer chord types are super light, easy to install and not loud on pavement like the older chain link types were. IMO a great $75 investment if you live where it snows a lot...

Quick Reply: Firestone Winterforce snow tires