3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fuel tank pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
redtexan7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Fuel tank pressure sensor

Guys, I got a 05 dakota 4.7 high-output. My check engine light came on the other day and I had it checked at Autozone. The read out says fuel tank pressure sensor needs to be replaced. (not in those words) I'm getting the part via dodge and they said I have to drop the tank to get to it. Any help with this project or knowledge about where it is located on the tank and what I truly need to do would be great!

Cheers...

Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 AM
djsilver
Professional

I took a look at the FSM and you may be able to change it without dropping the tank. When you get the part, follow these instructions to access the top of the tank without dropping it.

The EVAP canister (2) is mounted to the top of the fuel tank (6). Both the EVAP canister (2) and NVLD pump (3)
can be removed without removing the fuel tank.
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove left-rear tire.
3. Remove plastic shield in front of left-rear tire. Access to both the EVAP canister (2) and NVLD pump (3) from the
area in front of the removed tire.

Last edited by djsilver; 03-17-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

are you sure you just didn't have the gas cap on correctly? that also can cause the CEL to come on and give a similuar code.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
redtexan7

Djsilver thanks for the homework with all of that!! Paul I did check out the gas cap and it seems to be ok. My truck will actually run rough and even die if I leave it running in park or sometimes at a stop light. The guys at dodge say that I should bring it in to have them do a dio on it because they could actually tell me if it might be my fuel pump instead of just the sensor (which is located on the pump as well.) Thanks for the info with everything and I'll let yall know what they say tomorrow. I'm still going to be the one doing the work because I don't want to get charged an arm and a leg!

Quick Reply: Fuel tank pressure sensor