3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CAI on '08 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
that must be yet another thing different with these 08 engines, there is no "whoosh" sound, like i have heard on every other kind of vehical with a cai, these 08's sound like there is another exhaust system under the hood
That's a GREAT way to describe how this thing sounds now. I actually don't know if I can keep it on with how obnoxious it is. :/

Eric, haven't reset the comp yet. Will try that later today and see if it helps. Also, I talked to a buddy of mine who's an ace mechanic and he suggested something since I told him I was also getting a wisp of smoke out the exhaust now when I get on it. He said there's 2 possible things to cause that. One being that the air/fuel mixture is off now with the increased airflow and it could be too fat or lean. The other being that there's a chance the element was oiled too heavy and what can happen then is the intake sucks the oil into the TB and gums up the mass airflow sensor. According to him, if this is the case, that will eff all kinds of stuff up and I need to blow some of the oil off the element with compressed air from the inside out, then get a can of mass airflow sensor cleaner from auto parts and spray it in the TB to get the gunk cleaned out from any filter oil residue. Ugh.

If it is the fuel mixture, I would think resetting the ECU would solve that. If not, I'll go the cleaning the mass airflow route. Just figured I'd give you guys a heads up for future reference.

I dunno though. When I had my AirRaid on the other truck there were NO issues. Now I get a K&N and it's been a huge p.i.t.a. :/

Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Reset the comp today and put about 20 miles on it afterward. No change in the sound/vibration/shudder during hard acceleration, but I didn't notice any more wisps of smoke from the exhaust, so either the air/fuel mixture has been adjusted to normal levels or it blew all the filter oil out of the intake system. Whichever was causing the smoke.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 AM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

idk if the 63 series is considered the cold air but i noticed an increase in the noise from the front end after the install. when i stand on it. but under normal conditions wouldnt know its there. i like the sound though but ima look at cleaning out the T/B and ar flow now that you mention it see if that changes any thing

Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

Iat=?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Intake Air Temperature

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

so is that whats on all the dakotas

Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I can tell on my truck I have an IAT/MAP sensor as well. You can't just use an IAT, there has to be some other metering device such as a MAF or MAP sensor in place. The IAT only corrects for density change with temperature measured by the air metering device. A MAF sensor estimates airflow based on the amount of electricity required to keep a thin wire at a given temp (increases with more airflow) while a MAP sensor calculates the amount of air inside the intake manifold based on the relative pressure when compared to ambient.

A MAF sensor is always mounted before the throttle body in the intake tube. It is usually a little box on the tube mounted just behind the air filter. If your truck (ours) does not have a little sensor box on the intake tube it uses a MAP sensor.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hope this works... the first 2 will be exhaust w/out intake, the other 2 will be w/intake window up & closed...just to here the sound of the 08, here we go...

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the first one and the last one, for best comparison

Quick Reply: CAI on '08 4.7L