3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CAI on '08 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI on '08 4.7L

Ok guys, time to get serious. I bought a used K&N CAI for my truck from a forum member and yesterday I finally got it installed. Installation went off without a hitch, everything fit perfect, and there are no missing/extra parts, so I can only assume it's the right kit for my application. I went from a drop in filter element to the CAI. Holy crap though...the noise is unbelievably obnoxious! I had a system on my 05 4.7 but it wasn't a K&N so this is my first experience with their product. That one sucked air and you could hear the 'whooshing' sound when you got on it, but this one makes the truck sound like a freaking bomber stock racecar or something! It definitely livened it up, but from inside the truck, it almost sounds like I have a blown muffler, but obviously the sound is coming from the engine compartment instead of under the truck. The truck even has a shudder or vibration now at WOT.

What I'm wondering is, I know there are other forum members who have installed a CAI (K&N or otherwise) on their 08 with the new 4.7, but did any of you experience anything similar what I am? Or do you just have the telltale 'whooshing' sound with yours? Any vibration/shuddering when you stand on it, etc?

I certainly don't want to do any damage to the engine, even though I'm not sure how that would even be possible just from adding an intake system, other than maybe leaning it out if the air/fuel mixture is somehow getting jacked up.

Any help or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a modified CAI on mine and it actually killed the low end power a lot. And, the sound it made was horrible. It made this metallic, "blatty" sound. And it was obnoxiously loud at WOT. It didn't sound good at all. So I removed it, put the stock airhorn back on the TB and am just running the Automat short ram intake now. Not near as loud and still doesn't have a nice woosh/roar to it at WOT.

I'm thinking of maybe going with an Injen or having an exhaust shop custom make one with a good flowing box. OR....wait to see if Volant ever makes one with a box for our trucks.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a chromeintakes cai on mine, and yes, quite a bit of noise at wot, mine actually seems to dround out the sound of my magnaflow exhaust, but i think mine kind of has a good tone to it, but at the same time it only makes noise when you smash the skinny pedal to the floor, and quite as can be under normal driving conditions, so it is a very controlable noise, i love all the noise when i stand on it..

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 11-21-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

It definitely makes a whoosh sound, spshultz what CAI did you have? My K&N didn't hurt my low end power at all, seems like it helped it a little but that could be attributable to the butt dyno effect. It definitely did improve the throttle response though.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:49 PM
spshultz
Professional

I used an Airaid together with the Automat short ram intake tube. They actually fit together quite well.

I first tried the Airaid with my stock filter box and K&N filter. Never felt any difference. So then I bought the Automat and decided to couple them together to make one CAI. With that set up I lost a lot of low end and had horrible sound. Finally I put the airhat back on the TB and just run the Automat intake which brought back the low end.

I was going to try the BFI (aka Ramhammer) but I just don't think they are going to ever get around to building it for the newer Dakotas.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

that must be yet another thing different with these 08 engines, there is no "whoosh" sound, like i have heard on every other kind of vehical with a cai, these 08's sound like there is a nother exhaust system under the hood

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 PM
spshultz
Professional

Did you reset your computer after installing the intake? you could be leaning out a little due to the computer remembering the old fuel maps... I would try that first to see if it helps.
I actually had reset it. Ran two tanks through and it just never got any better. But I think you are right about it leaning out. I think that maybe the engine computer just could never compensate enough. I really want to get the Superchips 3865 so I can start monitoring my A/F.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Frenchy
Banned

idk but im pretty sure the 3865 doesnt monitor a/f on mine.........

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

i have the 3865 on mine, i havent monitered the a/f yet, but to me, the intake sounds even louder, i think because it almost removes the TM and the TB opens a lot quicker, but the 3865 is a great kick on these 08's. they claim +50hp

Quick Reply: CAI on '08 4.7L