3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

considering fabricating a lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I saw 287s thread but I could be mistaken though if memory serves you have a 2wd and the problem with the 4x4s was the front cv`s not being long enough... any thought put towards the cv

Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

A differential drop would maintain a normal CV angle.

There's alot that goes into an IFS lift kit to preserve appropriate caster, camber, toe-in and bump steer. It's not easy.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A diff and steering rack drop would keep the front end geometry exactly the same. However you will have to worry about the front driveshaft. Any way you look at it you have to be pretty confident in yourself to start a project like this on your own.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL. well im glad you know alot about me and my ability. i dont want to start a flame thread. because trust me. growing up around the herbst family kinda puts you in the off road scene. not to mention building long travel prerunners and buggies before. but all that aside. yes i am only making this kit for 2wd for 4wd is a waste. for what i want, you dont need 4wd. and for 2wd, No. there is no need for drop brackets...trust me.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 AM
rookie
Captain

yes things would be different if this was a 2wd baha project. man that would be fun. I admit that any lift that i pull off will be mostly show.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes things would be different if this was a 2wd baha project. man that would be fun. I admit that any lift that i pull off will be mostly show.
please please please, dont get discuraged, i want to build one my self, but not sure if i want to void my warrenty yet, you have great ideas, and i want to see them, show or not...

Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
canadiandodge
All Star

dodge trucker has it right man i will use this kit show or not i just want a little more lift

Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06dak287
LOL. well im glad you know alot about me and my ability. i dont want to start a flame thread. because trust me. growing up around the herbst family kinda puts you in the off road scene. not to mention building long travel prerunners and buggies before. but all that aside. yes i am only making this kit for 2wd for 4wd is a waste. for what i want, you dont need 4wd. and for 2wd, No. there is no need for drop brackets...trust me.
I don't think anyone questioned your abilities or background. I stated that a person would have to be confident in their abilities, and I'm sure you are.

If you are doing it for 2WD, then this would be easy to design. All you need are the measurements and go from there. Some redesigned upper and lower arms and a new steering knuckle is all that is needed. If you drop the arms 2 inches, all you need to do is keep the steering geometry the same which is not hard to do at all.

Hell, if you need anything CNC machined, send me the CAD files. I have a 5-axis mill and HAAS Lathe and over $75,000 in tooling, combined they can machine damn near anything.

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 12-11-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Merged
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Right.

If the forum collected $20 for every "I'm going to build X Y Z" thread, we could have bought a Dakota by now, and probably modified the **** out of it.

There's just alot of talk here, and alot of people who don't really know what a can of worms they are getting into.

If you've built prerunners, then I'm sure you can draw up plans for a small streetable lift the next time you take a sh*t.

A lifted and rear-lockable 2WD is way cooler anyway.

Also, HAAS mills rule. It's all about keeping an eye on the controller screen, and being in the machine shop to watch the automatic tool changes. It never gets old.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
rookie
Captain

thanx for the encouragement guys. i'm still lookin at 'er. don't why this thread is getting so hostile though.

Quick Reply: considering fabricating a lift