3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

considering fabricating a lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default considering fabricating a lift

Here's what i'm thinking: fabing up a set of brackets to drop the a arms, diff, and maybe the steering rack. I am thinking about 2" to keep it simple, that way the drive shaft won't need to be changed, and hopefully the sway bar won't need relocating. it's not much, but if you combine it with the strut spacers, it will accomadate 33s; with body lift, maybe 35s. it wont be fancy, using the same struts and everything, but for those who cant/wont use a body lift it's a way to get a couple more inches. experiments with after market struts may enable longer travel, but for now i would just drop the struts down. there would be some drilling involved for the a arms, since i would try to use their existing brackets. the y pipe also gets in the way of droping the diff, and i am sure that there is a lot more to over come.
Basically the entire front end will have to be disassembled and played with to do this, and if i'm gonna do that, i'm gonna take a lot of measurements and pictures, and also make molds and jigs and templates so that i can sell similar set ups to other strugling dak owners suffering from low-truck-itis or car-truck syndrome. right now it looks like the kit would include: drop brackets for the diff, lower a arms and rack; spacers for the struts (2" or 2" + TM spacer hieght), templates for drilling holes in the upper a arm brackets, maybe blocks for the back, not sure about the y-pipe, and whatever else i run into. i guess i am just putting out feelers as to if anyone would purchase such an item (assuming it works properly) for a few hundred or so, other wise it's probably not worth my time and effort.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be awsome, i have thought about it myself, but my truck is still to new to tear apart and expiriment with, but my guess would be that you would have to do at least a 3 or 4 in minimum in order to get the brackets and bolts to work properly...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be in if you had a kit made up. I would like to see some updates and blogs about how this goes if you do end up doing it. I think it's pathetic that we can't get barely 32" tires on these things with the lifts available. I would love to have this truck on 33's or 35's (but it would have to be off road capable). none of that mall crawler stuff!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

i am with pops i want it to be fully functinal i am willing to buy one if it works and will be easy and at a decent price point but i am intrested and would love to get 35s on my truck

Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best bet... may be to go out and buy all the necessary parts you are gonna be working on right now...

so that way if something bad happens, you have extra parts to either return it to how it was, OR continue working where your mistake was.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one other quick thought... if you are able to go through with this, maby think about droping the diff 2in. more than the lift, if there is enough clearence to do so. considering about 90% of us already have a leveling kit, and that would help out even more, and i would almost bet that you will have to do something different with the drive shaft (longer) and the rack will have to be moved and some sort of extention for the steering shaft would have to be found...

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
rookie
Captain

ok. i have the spacers already, and looking at the truck, i think another 2 inches would not strain any steering or sway bar links. 4" would be way more involved. i'm not sure that i can confidently make longer links or custom a arms. i am willing to take things apart, and do drilling and grinding, but as far as irreversable stuff like cutting and lenthening things, i'm not willing to comitt to bying new parts at this point. also my goal is to run big tires and gain ground clearance as opposed to body lift. 2 more inches would be enough for me.

4" would be nice, but pointless if i can't locate the right size/length struts. maybe coils and shocks? this kind of goes along with off road-worthyness, the added ground clearance justifies it, but the off road handling will be the same at best with a 2" lift, 4" is pushing it. i like the idea of droping the diff 4" though. the real limiting factor is the upper a arm brackets. i want to just move the bolts down lower on them, but i only get about 2" like that. i might find a way around it, but the only way to get more than 2" is custom upper a arms. 2" keeps costs down too. 4" is gonna be well over a $thousand so if you have the spacer, this would give you another 2", if your sitting at factory hieght, bam you get 4". maybe us manual tranny guys could go with a 1" body lift too.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

I would love to see this made a reality

Old 12-10-2009, 04:21 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

funny how you bring this up. ive been talking about it on this site for a while and no one really caught on lol

dont go with the drop bracket....ive got 3" wider boxed lower arms done. starting with the tubular uppers. all uniballs and heims. i unthreaded the steering end and had a cnc extension made with a heims threaded into the end. it will feature FOA coilovers. problem is all you "all show" guys want your truck to sit higher but dont realize you lose travel that way. im setting mine up once i get the money for the coilovers for 3" lift but almost triple the up and down travel.

im keeping it top secret until its done. but ill start a thread. and yes, its all built in my garage at my house.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

oh. and if you still wanna do the show lift. dont waste your time with brackets for the steering. i already checked it out. just ream your spindle, flip your links, or take your links off like i did and get heims with high mis. spacers. ive cycled it way up into the fender and drooped it down to where the upper arm hit the coil, no steering bind!

Quick Reply: considering fabricating a lift