3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

shudder of a different sort

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
ridler16
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shudder of a different sort

I posted this in the Jeep section but though I might have better luck here since it is a drivetrain question and they are very similar. Anywho, I have read through a bunch of posts on tranny and TC shudder and it seems like most have it at 20+ Mph. My '98 Grand Cherokee (with a 46re I believe) is a bit different. Perhaps I shouldn't call it a shudder, it seems to "stutter" when coming to a stop. If I manually shift from say 1 - 2 or D -R while stopped it wants to move but can't (foot on brake) so it stalls. When I stop at a sign or light it's very, very similar to stopping a stick shift vehicle without pressing the clucth pedal, then hitting the pedal just before it stalls. If I press the brake and let off then press it again the "stutter" seems to get a bit better. I can stop without stalling with the "double tap" method. Any ideas why it "seems" like the TC stays in lock up when trying to stop? BTW the 46RH I rebuilt is doing great in my Dakota.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am almost positive the converter is shot, and may not even have to do with the lockup, but still could be a number of things... a friend of mine has a pickup w/ out lockup and it did the exact same thing, i cant really remember exactly what it was but i think it was the stator coming loose

Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 AM
ridler16
Amateur

Could I unplug the trans and shift manually to see if it still stutters when I stop?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
ridler16
Amateur

Everybody must be out shopping cuz someone usually has something to say. So while I was at it this AM I tried the "lock test" for my TC , touch brake, watch rpm for unlock, that test. No rpm change at all. So does that only mean it isn't locking or could it be locking and not unlocking as I suspect is the case?

Thanks
Ridler

Quick Reply: shudder of a different sort